1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

repairing an open seam / luthier in japan?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by adam ravitz, Nov 24, 2010.

1. adam ravitz

adam ravitz Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Philadelphia, Pa
    so today at my gig i noticed a strange resonance while tuning my bass up, and so after a quick inspection i noticed that a portion of the top has come unglued. does any one know of a safe way i can repair this, and make it stable enough to last through 2 more weeks of shows and a flight back to the states, or if there is a violin supply store or bass luthier in japan who i could see?

2. Brent Nussey

Brent Nussey

Jun 27, 2001
    Tokyo, Japan
    Hi Adam.

Where in Japan are you?

3. Short-term, gaffer's tape or painter's tape can hold the seam shut without damaging the varnish. Wish I could be more helpful.

4. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Please DO NOT put gaffer's tape on your instrument!

Thank you from Repairmen everywhere...:(

5. adam ravitz

adam ravitz Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Philadelphia, Pa
    haha, i will not be putting gaffers tape on it any time soon. However, masking tape has been doing alright, and has made the open seem stop resonating.

brent- i am all over japan for the next two weeks. currently in nagoya, but will be spending the most of the rest of my time in osaka, and tokyo near akasaka/shibuya

6. Brent Nussey

Brent Nussey

Jun 27, 2001
    Tokyo, Japan
    OK, when you get to Tokyo, here's where you want to go:
    http://www.yamamoto-bass.com/

They're in Shin-Okubo (easily accessible part of Tokyo) and they'll take care of you. Tell me your exact schedule and we'll figure out the logistics. The guy I deal with there is Minoru Kimoto, he's great. I'll send you a pm with my number.

edit-

Hey - is this what you're doing?

http://www.glennmillerorchestra.com/Japan-Schedule.html

if that's the case, and this Monday is an off day in Tokyo, then no problem, take care of it Monday. If Monday's a travel day, that's trickier, but I'm sure something can be done.