1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Repairing cab puncture in Ampeg Classic 15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by agomes, May 12, 2011.

1. agomes

agomes

Apr 25, 2010
    Chico Ca
    So i picked up a new rig yesterday, Japanese fender jaguar with ampeg b2-re with bse410hlf and a classic 15 for crazy cheap.

The only problem is a gash in the bottom of the 15 cab... i can't really tell what it does to the sound as i havent had it out of the apt yet, and never heard it when it was new.

Does this play a big role sonicly? maybe less punch?

So I started wondering if i was going to go about repairing this, how do i even open it up?

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Is the gash all the way through the wood or just in the covering?

3. agomes

agomes

Apr 25, 2010
    Chico Ca
    the gash is all the way thru, i took one of the handles off and reached inside, and there is about a 4"x4" area where the wood is pushing the insulation up about two inches... let me see if i can get a photo up

4. agomes

agomes

Apr 25, 2010
    Chico Ca
    2011-05-12_15-32-05_349. 2011-05-12_15-31-48_460.

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Cut a piece of plywood a little bigger than the puncture is, glue and screw it down over the hole on the inside. Remove the grill, speaker and handles to work on the inside unless it has a removable back, you can go in that way. If it took a hard enough hit to do that, check out the speaker as well for coil rub, loose magnet and give it a battery test. While your in there, staple up any loose lining or add some if needed and check all wiring connections, jacks, etc.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    That hole will act as a port that isn't tuned right. At a minimum it will perform poorly, it can allow the speaker to move farther than it's made to and blow it. That thing looks like it took a high fall onto a sharp rock or got assaulted with a hammer or something. Force like that can shear the magnet away from the frame or knock the frame out of alignment causing the voicecoil to rub and eventually short out. Thoroughly check out the speaker while you have it apart.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    While you're in there, take internal measurements of the cabinet and the ports so people can start figuring out a good replacement if needed. If it's a sealed cab, that's gonna matter as well.

8. agomes

agomes

Apr 25, 2010
    Chico Ca
    popped the grill off and removed the speaker, there is no coil rub, but the magnet is off center... is that bad?

internal dimensions: 12" x 22-1/4" x 21", two 4"x6" ports.

9. agomes

agomes

Apr 25, 2010
    Chico Ca
    thanks for all the tips btw!

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If the magnet is off enter, it likely broke the coil and is just sticking to the frame. Coil wouldn't rub 'cause it's not in one piece anymore. Maybe another pic? Or check it with a battery to see if anything happens. Also the cab looks like mdf on this little phone. If it is, it might be trash too after taking a hit like that close to the edge. That stuff isn't very strong in the corners/seams.

11. agomes

agomes

Apr 25, 2010
    Chico Ca
    2011-05-12_16-34-36_795. 2011-05-12_16-46-05_92. 2011-05-12_17-01-43_73. 2011-05-12_17-01-54_459.

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If it's that "glued together sawdust" stuff and the speaker's no good I'd call it trash.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i don't know that i'd junk it yet. it could still work if the magnet's off center. i have one with an off center magnet and it works fine. If so, maybe you could patch that hole. i'd avoid putting any real money into it, but i might spend $5-10 on it. but if the speaker doesn't work, then yeah, i'd write it off as a loss. you don't really need it with the bse410hlf anyway.

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Can't tell much from the pics on this end. If the speaker tests good and that particler board hasn't gotten wet at any time, it's worth fixing, otherwise no.

This phone is going to be the early death of me I swear.

Fiery crash rock-n-roll style.

Smartphone my ass, it's only slightly less dumb. :)

15. agomes

agomes

Apr 25, 2010
    Chico Ca
    I think the speaker might be fine with the off-center magnet. i had both cabs going earlier today and it sounded fine, i just wasn't experimenting with any real volume as im in an apt.

16. agomes

agomes

Apr 25, 2010
    Chico Ca
    did the magnet test and i get some popping/static

17. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Almost looks like a bird's nest. Or a bowl of coleslaw without any carrots.

Id's say just get a piece of plywood and cover the hole. Seal it with some glue to make sure no air leaks and screw it down, should be good to go as long as the speaker is still ok.

18. coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Something to watch out for - the BSE410HLF is a 4 ohm can and the Classic 15 is 8 ohms. The B2RE is not 2 ohm stable. Using both cabs would present a 2.6 ohm load on the head - as well as sending twice the wattage to the 4x10 as to the 1x15. Are you certain it's an HLF? The BSE series 410s the H and HS are 8 ohm while the HLF is 4 ohm. Just want to be sure you don't damage the head.

19. agomes

agomes

Apr 25, 2010
    Chico Ca
    hmm, the guy i picked this up off of has been gigging with both cabs. He gave me a pamphlet detailing the three BSE410H series cab, and it def looks like the HLF version as there is large port at the bottom; making it 4ohm as you said.
    The jack plate sticker was removed, i guess i should open it up...

Would the guy that had it before really be able to gig the b2re @ 2.6 ohms?

20. coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    The B2RE manual says not to go below 4. You can, but it's not good for the amp and could eventually cause failure.