1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Repairing damage to back of neck question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by buldog5151bass, Nov 18, 2018.

1. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I recently purchased a 2001 MIA Precision with some chips on the finish on the back of the neck. I was thinking of using a water based polyurethane, applied with a cotton swab, to fill the spots (several light coats) then careful sanding, to fill those spots. Not expecting perfection, but just want it a little better. Does that sound like the right way to go, and what grade sand paper would you start with?

Many thanks.

Here is the sale thread, with pics of the damage: SOLD - 2001 Fender American Standard Precision Bass

2. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I might go with medium CA glue to fill those chips.

3. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Do you mean crazy glue, or do I need to get something with the activator spray? Also, what grade sandpaper would you start with. Thanks.

4. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Yes, crazy glue. I'd probably use a razor to scrape the CA glue once cured. I'm not sure sandpaper is even necessary, though if it needed blending, I'd start with 800 or 1000.

Beej likes this.
  5. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Thanks again.

mapleglo likes this.
  6. I have a ‘71 Fender fretless neck...never even thought about fixing my dings in the neck.

Sounds good though, good luck!