Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

repairing my epiphone thunderbird IV...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nickname, Feb 21, 2006.

1. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    I recently dropped my epiphone thunderbird IV at a gig and the input cord push righ into the guitar causing the input jack to be about 1/4 of an inch inside of the guitar.

does that make sense? I will post a picture soon. Anyways, I was going to just replace the body but..... no can do. its all one peice.

The thing is, do i sell it the way it is as parts or something? or do i fix it up and sell it.. either way i'm assuming its going to be pricey to fix it. :(

help!

2. Do post a pic - not sure of the exact finish or hardware you are dealing with. How much it would cost will depend on how much you need the repair to be undetectable - fixing things so it is functional by using either plates or washers to hold the jack in place will be fairly cheap but not so pretty. Other types of repair will be more expensive.

Peace,
    S

3. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    So are you saying that your bass isn't the bolt-on neck model? I saw a used Epi T-Bird recently that had the jack replaced on the front with a black strat style input jack on the front. I assumed it was done because the body was damaged. That might be an affordable option for you.

Andy

4. Tender Prey,

That does seem like a better idea that a flat jack plate, since it would help prevent future damage.

You just reminded me that I should keep some right angle cords around for instruments that dont have recessed jacks.

Peace,
    S

5. Nocturnal

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    I saw the other thread you have started in the basses forum about this situation. If you're thinking about selling, why not try to sell it as-is and if you don't get an offer you like, then try the repair. It's kind of one of those situations where you can spend X amount to make a little bit more $ than you would by selling it damaged. Just have to weigh your options. Not sure what it would cost to fix it, but I wouldn't think it would be too bad.

TheSuzie, thanks for reminding me that I need to buy one of those right-angle cords!

Andy

6. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Nocturnal

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    OUCH!!!! If I was going to have it repaired, I'd try the strat-type input jack. It looks like that would be the easiest and possibly the least expensive way to go.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Maybe a Tele Style input jack or simply a much larger washer would do the trick (though not as attractive)

9. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    n e idea where a good place to pick one up would be?

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Why not get one of those round mounting plates like the V guitars use? It would retain gibson styling...

[​IMG]

11. if you go with the gibson plate, I would still try to repair the wood a bit (even if it is messy it would be hidden) plus also use a plate or a big washer on the other side to add some strength - last thing you want is for it to come apart again.

Peace,
    S

12. dexterward

dexterward

Sep 30, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY

maybe check out something like this:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardwar...Covers_plates/Les_Paul_Style_Jack_Plates.html

or this:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware,_parts/Electric_guitar:_Covers_plates/Oval_Jack_Plates.html

If you're handy at all, you could probably make one pretty easily out of some pickguard like material, or get creative and find some cool shaped thing (star, whatever) and drill a couple of holes in it...

13. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    you guys are geneious. dex i've used your idea. i've bought a 1ply pick guard, black, im going to get a shape cut out and cover the whole. now im thinking of keeping it.

my next step is to replace the pickups.. or do i need to? its just that the pickup sounds is very... .. muddy. . i want higher tones. althought the attack on this gutiar is extremely low.

i must also try changing the position of the strap
    and get a real case for it

is it worth it, or do i patchwork, and sell?

14. dexterward

dexterward

Sep 30, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I just got an epiphone thunderbird a couple of weeks ago, and I love it. the first thing I did was move the strap pin, following this guy's guidance:

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~wizkid/music/thunderbird_mod/

Also, I strung it up with some prosteels, and it get's pretty growly, especially with mostly bridge pickup. You can also try boosting the mids/high mids on your amp, that'll help it cut through too.

But, by all means, if you're not crazy about how it sounds/feels, sell it...

15. Yeah I agree with the idea of trying some different strings. If you can't get a clear sound that you like unplugged - get your ear near or on the body to listen, you will likely have a hard time ever getting a decent sound through an amp no matter what pickups you use.

Peace,
    S

16. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    any pickups you would recommend. if im going to keep it i want to pimp it out.

17. WayCoolJr

WayCoolJr

Jan 20, 2006
    If you are gonna sell it, what are you asking?