Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Repairing my Peavey T-40 II: How do I wire this sucka.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Alright, I finally after much procrastination opened up my Peavey T-40. 30 screws down and I crack it open to find... I forgot how to do this. ;)

I looked around and I've got a pretty good idea of what's up. This stuff is actually fairly self explainitory, at least the basics. I found where the "repair guy" disconnected the neck pickup. Leaving only the bridge. I was wondering if anyone knew the schematics of the Peavey T-40. I went on the website, but got the run around, I'd have to sign up to their forum.

Also, there is a mystery toggle switch that doesn't seem to do anything. The ground his run through it, but that's about it. I know little of wiring so this is my guess/question. Does this disconnect the ground killing the signal? I mean, ideally does a toggle switch by disconnecting the ground giving silence?

I'm going to try getting this thing working great, then I'm going to "freshen up" the wiring. (This thing was made in 79) And there is some slightly corroded looking wires in there.

I didn't know where to put this: I hope this is OK. I didn't want to put it in "Basses" because it would just get buried.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    OOps, I'm an idiot

http://forums.peavey.com:8080/~Repair/upload/T60 - T40(1).pdf

I figured I'd post this just in case it helps anyone else :)

My pickup selector is in pretty bad shape though. Do they sell these anywhere? Other than that, I just need some misc wire. Do they sell this kinda stuff at radio shack or do I need to go StewMac or something?

3. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Looks like I'm headed in the right direction. I was just looking at those switches. It looks like it's going to get a tad expensive just to find out if any extremely rare pickup is trashed. If that's the case, I'm going to try to custom fit some other pickups inside it. I just love the sound/feel of this thing accoustically. And it has fairly nice tone with the one pickup in OK condition. Very classy bass.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Is there anywhere I can get 3 toggle switches that don't cost a lot of money.

6. I had to replace the pickup selector switch on my T-40. Got it from Allparts.
    The neck pickup on mine died, So i put a Fender Jazz pickup in it. I like the sound, And It's about 5 lbs. lighter.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Alum: Did you have to do anything special to fit the pickup in? It seems an odd size.

8. The jazz pup will fit in the factory hole. You can move it towards the neck or the bridge about an inch or so.
    Then I made a cover to go over the rather large hole that was left. It aint exactly pretty, But it does the job.