Repairing warwick neck ding.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Whafrodamus, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    My thumb has a ding on the back of the neck.. A tiny one.. I can feel it and it's kind of annoying. I don't care about looks that much, but I care about feel. Is there any way to fill it in without totally destroying the looks? Some transparent wood filler or something like that?
  2. Skips

Feb 19, 2003
    I have never done this, but I've heard that if you put a wet rag over the ding and apply heat with a soldering iron, you can steam it out (assuming it has a natural oil finish or something.)

Hopefully someone else with experrience can give you better directions
  3. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    THe wood is unfinished. It's in the wood.
  4. You can make your own woodfiller with woodglue and sawdust from the same piece of wood.
    Just make sure the glue you use is transparant when dried and you add enough sawdust. (the paste should be quite thick)
    I've done does a couple of times with great succes (I restore furniture for a living) but I always finished with varnish, so I'm not quite sure what an oil finish will do, since the filler and the wood might not absorb the oil in the same way ... does anybody know for sure ?
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    If it's not too deep, just sand it away with sandpaper. Finish off with 320 grit and/or steel wool. Apply oil or wax afterwards.