1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replace 12AX7 in Alembic FX-1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Top_Ten, Sep 15, 2008.

1. So I picked up an Alembic FX-1 preamp from another TB'er, and I thought I would do some experimenting with different 12AX7's.

However, neither the Sovtek nor the Tung-Sol that I have will fit in the tube sleeve on the Alembic -- they are both too fat.

It already sounds pretty good with the no-name Chinese tube that is in there, but I would like to try some others. Has anyone had any luck finding replacement 12AX7s that will fit in one of these preamps? Thanks!

[EDIT: Sorry, meant to post in Amps. Mod -- can you move? Thanks!]

2. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    FYI 1: F-1X, NOT FX-1.

FYI 2: Do a search, we have talked about replacement tubes in F-1X preamps several times in the recent past.

Having said that, Alembic has been using Chinese tubes in F-1X preamps since the 1990's. There are a number of tubes that will work better in the F-1X.

3. FYI 1: Thanks for taking the time to correct my typo

FYI 2: I did search and found some relevant info, but no answer to my specific question regarding certain tubes being too fat to fit in this preamp. Perhaps this has been discussed before and I just didn't find it, but I really don't think my simply asking the question caused you or anyone else any great inconvenience.

Having said that, do you actually want to tell me which of these "many tubes" will work better, or are you just feeling gratuitously pedantic this evening?

4. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    So what's up with that tube sleeve anyway? That thing is a pain in the butt for getting the old tube out. Any tube experts care to enlighten me as to what benefit it provides?

TIA (don't mean to thread-jack but it seems sort of related)

5. I think it is supposed to keep the tube from falling out, but it does sort of seem like overkill.

6. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Certainly keeps oversized tubes from falling in! :p

Looks like it would protect the tube from physical hazards but does any such threat really exist inside that hefty steel chassis? :eyebrow:

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I think it's supposed to protect the tube from mind-control rays beamed down by the black helicopters.

8. I'm interested in the responses posted as well for my F-1X, but I think this thread belongs in the "AMPS" forum. A transfer will hopefully improve the response rate.

Bluesy Soul :cool: