Replace EBS MultiDrive with EBS MicroBass II

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dduckster, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Dduckster

Dduckster

Nov 28, 2008
    Reading, UK
    Hi guys, is this a sound option or am i missing something?

I'm looking at getting myself a DI box for home headphone practise and live use and am seriously considering the EBS MicroBass II.
    I've currently got a MultiDrive and love it to death and as far as i can tell its the same circuitry. Before i sell it off and grab the MicroBass can anyone confirm that i'd be able to get the same kind of sound out of it and be able to switch the overdrive off and on with a simple foot press??

Any other DI's worthy of considering, i have been a bit EBS biased lately :D

Cheers
    Dom

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It's a really top notch box, but if you're only using it at home, why not save a bunch of money, and get the MXR Bass DI+? Less than half the price, and also a good box.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    The Microbass is overkill for your purposes. I don't know if it has the sound you're looking for, but the way it works is you have a clean channel and a drive channel, and you can switch the drive channel on and off with the foot. But I still think you can get what you're looking for in a smaller cheaper box, although I must say the Microbass is a choice piece of gear.

4. bump on thsi thread - can anybody confirm if the microbass does have the same circuitry as the multidrive? I really love my multidrive but wish it had some tone shaping capacility. And a 2nd channel would be nice to....microbass might be the answer?

5. Yes, the MicroBass has the same overdrive circuit as the MultiDrive, according to the EBS blurb. BUT, there is a major downside to using it at an overdrive stompbox:

You achieve overdrive by cranking ch.B's "drive" control, which necessitates turning down the master "volume" control. This makes ch.B very loud, and I found it impossible to bring ch.A up to the same level using the "boost" control. In short, it's hard to match clean and overdriven volume levels.

6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    1. Yes it will do what you're asking.

2. The drive function on the Microbass II is not as versatile as the MultiDrive's.

3. This would be a pricey practice box.

4. I personally love my Microbass as an always on PreAmp.

7. thanks guys, that help me a lot :)

just out of interest, does anyone know of a drive pedal similar to the multidrive that does have eq/tone shaping control?

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021