Replace Fender Pure Vintage 70s Bass Tuning Machines?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dnp41, Oct 10, 2017.

1. dnp41

dnp41

May 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    I have the (stock reliced) 70s Tuners on my Nate Mendel P bass, and I have some slight OCD issue. That is that the string doesn't wind as neatly over the tuning machine as with the more modern tuners. The string doesn't form like a smooth wrap, but is more or less all over the tuning machine (hope that makes sense). My feeling is that the middle part of the tuning machine is not much smaller than the rest of the tuner, so the string isn't pushed together as much as with modern tuners.

I have 3 questions:

1) Am I putting my strings on the wrong way? Or is this common with the 70's style tuners?
    2) What are the possible replacements for the 70s tuners? I can't find the hole diameter anywhere..
    and
    3) Will the replacement be an improvement over the 70s tuners? In either weight or tuning stability (and obviously, cure my OCD so that the silk part of the string will wrap nice and tight around the machine)

I have no real issues with the current tuning stability. It's not the best ever, but fair enough.

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Once you have them wrapped, loosen them off and push the wraps together down to the bottom of the tuner post. Form them into a nice tight bundle. Pay particular attention to the A string making sure it comes off the post as low as possible.

Do it that way and leave the tuners on there. Nothing wrong with them.

Old posts are straight, not concave like the new. I personally dislike the new concave posts on a FLAT FENDER TYPE HEADSTOCK because they’re not as easy to get the strings low on the post; they force the strings to the middle of the post. It’s not as much of a problem when you have a n angled headstock, but they still increase the leverage on the post and in turn put more stress on the mechanism than straight posts that you can force the string to come off at the bottom.

Lownote38, Warhawk, GIBrat51 and 5 others like this.
  3. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Suspended Supporting Member

^^This^^ I have... a lot... of basses with the old style, straight tuner posts. I'm not about to yank them off, say, my '73 4001 Rick (you know what those wavy Grovers are worth?!?) just for that. What 96tbird suggests is exactly what I've been doing for... well, a long time...:whistle:

Lownote38 likes this.
  4. dnp41

dnp41

May 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    Thanks guys!