Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replace Ibanez BTB 705 with old Yamaha BB1600?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassocksky, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Bassocksky

Bassocksky

Aug 25, 2004
    Koeln, Germany
    Hey there,

I love Fender -P- style sounds and replaced my old basses with an Fender Precision Elite I and an Yamaha BB1000MA.

Whew! The BB1000MA seems to be more "precisionic" than the Fender himself - and thats my problem:

my third bass is an Ibanez BT705, a great bass, but I don't like the sound any more.

Now a guy offered me an Yamaha BB1600, slightly modified (not the electronics) from the 80's - and he wants to swap the basses.

calculation is: Ibanez = Yamaha + bucks. I thought of a difference of about 250-300$ for him to pay.

Does it make any sense in your opinions?

Greetings, Andre

2. Dunno about the value of your Ibanez. The Japan made 80's BBs sell on EBAY for $200-600, depending on model and condition (and the economy).

There's a nice BB1600 up for auction now that looks like it will go low.

3. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I agree, I think you could do better on an old Yamaha BB bass. Are you saying this guy wants to swap for yr Ibanez AND you still have to kick in some $$$? What kind of mods did he do on this bass?

If he's not willing to negotiate then keep yr eye on eBay like Joe_Atlanta suggests. In fact, you could even get something close to that sound you were describing in a new ax. The Taiwanese version of the Michael Anthony bass (not the expensive neck-thru Japanese one!) is basically a reissue of a bolt on BB of yore. Bass Player Mag gave it a good review AND I think Musicians Friend is unloading them on the cheap but only in green--check it out!

r

4. Bassocksky

Bassocksky

Aug 25, 2004
    Koeln, Germany
    1.) ...the eBay BB1600 will be shipped only in the US. :crying:

2.) ...I own a BB1000MA (black) and I love this bass more than my Fender Elite I. In Germany a music dealer has a sellout of BB1000MAs for about 400$.

Perhaps I will sell my BTB705 at eBay and then buy a second BB1000MA
    ( I want to use only three basses in the future, all 4-string:
    Fender Elite I - EADG
    Yamaha BB1000MA - DGCF
    Yamaha BB1000MA - HEAD (or the BB1600))

Hmmm... :meh:

Greetings

5. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Duh! So you already have that Michael Anthony model. I didn't make the connection with the model number (BB1000MA). Well, I can appreciate the charm of having an older and slightly funky bass. However given that you know that the new BB1000MA is a winner, and that you can get it in Deutschland for such a low price, then why not get another one. Sell the Ibanez and you might almost break even. If you get another black Yamaha, maybe you could put some interesting graphic or paint job in the future just to set them apart.

r