1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replace MEC's with Basslines?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by iplaybass, Jan 7, 2004.

1. iplaybass

iplaybass

Feb 13, 2000
    Houston, TX
    So, I was at a store today when a Lakland 55-94 caught my eye. This was no normal Lakland... it had a gorgeous flame top and Basslines pickups in a J/MM configuration. Now, this is the same configuration as my FNA Jazzman. The Lakland had a great, gutsy sound. Definately one of the nicest sounds I have heard in a while. So, my question is this... the FNA Jazzman has MEC pickups with a Basslines Pre. Would putting in a set of Basslines into this bass make an appreciable difference? Or is the MEC pre the only weak link in Warwick electronics? I'm looking for a sound that has a bit more growl, a bit brighter sound. Any ideas guys?

2. iplaybass

iplaybass

Feb 13, 2000
    Houston, TX
    One last question... could I even get Basslines that were drop in, or would routing be necessary?

Guys? Anybody? :confused: :confused:

3. Yes, you can get Basslines pickups to drop in, it's just the bridge length pickup that you need as far as I know. I know that was the case with my other Warwick that I had modified with the Bassline's system. The MM p-up should drop right in as well.
    As far as your situation goes, I think that if you were to change the pickups, the difference would be subtle. I have a feeling that the MEC is a pretty close copy to the Bassline's stuff as it is. If anything though, the Bassline's p-ups might be a little cleaner sounding, but in general, I think that the Bassline's are a pretty aggressive, high-output pickup like the the MEC.
    Another thing to consider as well is what type of board wood the 55-94 had. I've heard some with Maple boards that just screamed, and ones with Rosewood boards that were very dull sounding. I think that if the one you played had a Maple board, that would have some effect as well.