Replace MEC's with Basslines?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by iplaybass, Jan 7, 2004.

1. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    So, I was at a store today when a Lakland 55-94 caught my eye. This was no normal Lakland... it had a gorgeous flame top and Basslines pickups in a J/MM configuration. Now, this is the same configuration as my FNA Jazzman. The Lakland had a great, gutsy sound. Definately one of the nicest sounds I have heard in a while. So, my question is this... the FNA Jazzman has MEC pickups with a Basslines Pre. Would putting in a set of Basslines into this bass make an appreciable difference? Or is the MEC pre the only weak link in Warwick electronics? I'm looking for a sound that has a bit more growl, a bit brighter sound. Any ideas guys?
  2. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    One last question... could I even get Basslines that were drop in, or would routing be necessary?

Guys? Anybody? :confused: :confused:
  3. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Yes, you can get Basslines pickups to drop in, it's just the bridge length pickup that you need as far as I know. I know that was the case with my other Warwick that I had modified with the Bassline's system. The MM p-up should drop right in as well.
    As far as your situation goes, I think that if you were to change the pickups, the difference would be subtle. I have a feeling that the MEC is a pretty close copy to the Bassline's stuff as it is. If anything though, the Bassline's p-ups might be a little cleaner sounding, but in general, I think that the Bassline's are a pretty aggressive, high-output pickup like the the MEC.
    Another thing to consider as well is what type of board wood the 55-94 had. I've heard some with Maple boards that just screamed, and ones with Rosewood boards that were very dull sounding. I think that if the one you played had a Maple board, that would have some effect as well.