Replace my Aguilar GS112 to GS115?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Barcza, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    I have a GS112 cab, and I useing with my AG500 head. I love this rig, but It's not a lightweight portable rig, but even not a big thundering big stage rig...
    Just now, there is a very good deal, for a GS115 cab, in my town. So I will try it!
    Do you have any experience with this cab?
    Why Aguilar stop manufactureing this cab, was not a successful product?

2. I've had both. The 112 is a pretty easy one hand carry. ..the 115 needs casters and is a good lug... i.e. not at all easy one hand....not even that easy 2 hand lug.
    But, I thought it was a darn nice 115 cab. It's quite a decent size 115 cab, goes plenty deep and loud, far louder than the 112 - where the 112 will start to complain at volume, the 115 will keep on giving.
    I only sold it coz I was heading in a different direction tone wise, maybe if I could've found another GS115 at a good $$ I might have grabbed it for a cool 2x115 GS115 rig. But they were rare in my parts.

3. ASQTec

ASQTec Above Average Supporting Member

May 2, 2010
    The 112 and 115 are two completely different sounding cabinets. I've owned both, and couldn't sell the 115 fast enough. I practically gave it away, and promptly bought another GS112.

It's hard to explain the difference, but you should most definitely hear them both together before you buy.

rodl2005 likes this.
  4. Arnold

Arnold Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2002
    PA/MD/New York City
    I have one of each. I love the GS115. It can get really loud for some old school but tight sounds and really works well as a stand alone cab. Sometimes I use both a 115 and a 112. And if I want a tighter sound I use the 2 GS112's. It is a bit awkward to carry, but mine's not for sale.

Barcza likes this.
  5. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Get a second 12".
    I love (d) my ag500.

Barcza likes this.
  6. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    Thanks for áll the replys, I consider to change to 115 to get a louder rig, for bigger stages. I Have no budget yet, to buy another gs112, or a 4x10.
    I have a small shoulder friendly gk combo for club gigs. I like old scool tone if there definition. I play mostly jazz with upright and r'n'b, neo soul, funk music with with eletric bass...

7. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I had 2 GS112 cabs and they sounded great together. I sold them because they were too heavy for a one handed carry. I might have kept them if they had 2 handles.

Anyway, I would always prefer the sound and volume of 2 112's over a 115.

8. rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Feel free to verify my results... I've used a gs112 and an sl112 together and they sound fantastic. The gs is a bit mid scooped, and the SL is a bit mid foreword. The gs feels deeper, and the SL needs a bit of eq to be as deep. The two pair up nicely in my world. I know the cabinet mixing police will not like this viewpoint though.

9. Adding a second 112 would probably be better than swapping for a single 115. As has been mentioned, the 112 can easily be carried in one hand whereas the 115 can't so you're probably going to need 2 trips either way.

10. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    I just bought the 115, it was a great deal, very cheap. That was cheapest solution to get loud, deep and stay with the Aguilar brand ...
    Yeah, it's pretty Heavy, but sounds very nice, for my ears similar to the GS112 but much louder and deeper.
    Otherwise I have a portable rig, when no one help to carry....

deathness and Fred312b like this.
  11. rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Good score

Barcza likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021