Replace my Aguilar GS210 with something lighter?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Funkateer, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Folks - help me with this decision. I'm considering selling the Aggie and getting something lighter, like an Epifani UL310, or maybe a UL210. I'd like to have one rig that is capable of both loud funky stuff on bass guitars, as well as more refined and lower volume jazz on the EUB. I also use the EUB sometimes in a loud funk context too.

The GS210 is a great sounding cabinet 62 lb cabinet. The UL210 is a mere 38, the UL310, 47 lbs. I am very tempted to upgrade to the UL310 as it would appear to be a good match for the Stew bridged (1200 watts) and is only little bit heavier and costlier. There are also some other light weight 2x10s like EA that I would consider.

Am I going to be happy sound wise going to a light weight cabinet, or am I stuck with cabs made out of 7 ply Mahogany?
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    no doubt, Kern + Epifani UL = JOKERTASTIC tone. :D

i love my kern / epifani setup. sooooooo chewy meatie and thick. IMHO, no other setup matches it, except for maybe when i wanna get my hifi jones on w/ the Epifani UL502 head. ;)

but while, the GS210 has a more sucked in midrange kinda sound like most higher end boutique bass cabs we know and love, the Epi UL series has a more upfront chewy midrange that some guys either hate or love.

still, the UL210 is plenty loud and is comparable to most other 2x10 cabs, course, few other cabs can touch its weight class. and its low B handling is superb. the UL310 is a great cab, and is my "big rig in da clubs" solution, but the UL210 is that much more compact, and IMHO, most likely perfect for your needs. seriously, once you've held and heard a UL210, you'll wonder *** you were doing w/ those other cabs. ;)