1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replace My Alternately-Tuned 2nd Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JanusZarate, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Stick to your 4-string B-E-A-D! It'll end up being useful!

11 vote(s)
    12.4%
  2. Get a 5-string, B-E-A-D-G! The low B could be handy!

41 vote(s)
    46.1%
  3. Get a 5-string, E-A-D-G-C! Be different!

7 vote(s)
    7.9%
  4. Get another 4-string, tuned to D-A-D-G! I like drop-D more!

5 vote(s)
    5.6%
  5. Get another bass that’s E-A-D-G, with different specs, wood, pickups, etc.

8 vote(s)
    9.0%
  6. Get a 4-string carrot bass!, tuned Q-Q-Q-Q!

17 vote(s)
    19.1%
  1. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I currently own two basses: a Schecter Stiletto Custom-4, and a Schecter Scorpion. Both are left-handed 4-string basses. The Stiletto is tuned E-A-D-G (standard), while the Scorpion is tuned B-E-A-D. The Scorpion was built specifically for alternative tunings like B-E-A-D.

I've owned both for a few months now, and I love how both play and look. However, I find myself using the Stiletto most of the time; it seems that I'm just not finding much use for a low B.

I've considered selling the Scorpion, but I'm not sure what to do yet.

So, how about some opinions on my little poll here? What should I do, and why?

I play mostly rock, metal, and the like. Overdrive is used as much as clean (with a GK growl). I play with a pick 50% of the time. I feel like I'm more likely to play with drop-D tuning, so my next bass may get a Hipshot D-tuner upgrade.

This poll is really about the number of strings and their tunings, and how it relates to what I play.

Let the voting begin! :bassist:

2. steve21

steve21 Inactive

I have an allegiance to carrots...

But I'd sell the Scorpion and rock out a 5 string. Or if you wanna be different, a 6 string.

3. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    There is nothing to stop you just changing the scorpion to standard tuning or drop d. A new set of strings and a new nut (with narrower slots) and then adjust truss rod and bridge and you are done.

4. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

more strings expand the amount of notes available to you in a single hand position. the question that i found most useful in making the move to a 5 and ultimately, a 6 string is: would you like access to more notes in a single hand position? i decided that the addition of notes in a single hand position was worth the trade-off of getting used to a the new strings and was surprised to learn that by playing on a 5 string, i became a much better 4 string player! but that's me...you gotta figure out what's right for you. i'm currently debating installing a tremolo on my "go-to" bass.

5. If you aren't using the B string on your extended four string now you probably won't use it much on a five string either. Go Hipshot, D A D G!

6. snake

snake

Jul 21, 2004
    Aurora. CO
    I have a left-handed Scorpion and it's a great bass, but I have to pick and choose the songs I use it with. It certainly is a different mind set if you're used to playing a BEADG or a EADG bass, just because I like g-strings too!

Attached Files:

• ed.jpg
      ed.jpg
      File size:
      17.7 KB
      Views:
  7. Whats a carrot bass???
    Q-Q-Q-Q???
    im confused:confused:

8. I say keep it and put new strings on so you can tune it DADG. It might not even need a new nut, but if so, a new nut is much cheaper than a new bass.

9. stick with b-e-a-d, it can hit all the notes you would get in drop d, it can get most of the notes a 5-string has, and you already have it

10. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I voted for the 5-string because I do not like to tune down and find you lose the clarity of the notes when you do, especially the lower notes. If this is not a problem for you, then a drop D-tuner E-string may be fine for you.

11. RockFace

RockFace

Jul 14, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    it sounds to me like you are migrating away from 5 string territory...a move i have been gradually making the last few months. i barely touch my 5er these days...i just drop down to D on my jazz bass if i need to get lower. i say go with the 4 in dropped D if that's what you are feeling most comfortable playing these days.

rock.

12. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    my thought is for an option you don't have posted - which is take your Scorpion and restring it EADG...a 35" scale 4 string has a naturally bright and tight, cutting sound, and it may allow you to come up with some new ideas....

that is my 2 cents anyways

13. Supernova67

Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    Michigan
    i guess the answer depends on how often you use the last 5 frets on the D string. If you never use ur 5 heighest notes, why bother restringing it and getting a new nut when you can just change your playing position to play in D?

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Sounds to me like you should go for a BEADG fiver. That'll save you the trouble of deciding which bass you should use for a particular song: the B string will be right there when you need it.

Also: as I like to say, there's a lot more to the B string than the 5 notes below low E. I enjoy playing fretted low E, and in the keys of F, G (etc) I often start on the 6th, 8th fret (etc) of the B string.

15. LOL! It's a Talkbass joke :smug: You will see carrot jokes often

I have to say you should give a 5er a try, or even try a 6er if you really want the C string. I finally did that and i love my
    6er! :bassist:

16. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Wow, I didn't realize there was another lefty Scorpion out there!

It's like how Schecter doesn't mention they have left-handed Model-T basses, even though I've seen a few out there (and I currently have GAS for one :().

So... based on the votes so far, most of you think I should either get a 5-string or hang onto my Scorpion (and keep it B-E-A-D, but possibly tune it differently?).

Hmm... keep the votes and explanations coming!

17. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    BUMP, because I'm a tad impatient :smug:

Don't worry, I'll only do it once!

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021