Replace my StingRay Neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sugaree420, Dec 10, 2019.

1. sugaree420

sugaree420

Dec 10, 2019
    Greetings!

I have a 1979 MM Stingray Bass. Lovely sound, but the truss rod is broken and the neck is bowed. I need a new neck.

If you are reading here, you know how rare a replacement neck is for a MM Stingray. Ernie Ball won't touch it, and I have not yet found a luthier willing to take on the surgery my neck would need.

Could I make my instrument playable by putting a different neck on it?

Erik Asma likes this.
  2. tim gueguen

tim gueguen

Sep 19, 2016
    You'd have to have a lot of surgery done to make any other neck work on a Stingray.

BrentSimons likes this.
  3. sugaree420

sugaree420

Dec 10, 2019
    Thanks. That's what I was afraid of.

4. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Music Man won’t sell you one?

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Erik Asma and groooooove like this.
  6. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    No, none of the preEB necks are six bolt.

7. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The Musicman company of today isnt the Musicman company from the 70's, the necks are different.

BrentSimons likes this.
  8. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    There has been a couple preEB StingRay owners here on TB that had their truss rods replaced. You should do a topic search and see if you cen find those threads, or the owners and get their luthier's info.

BrentSimons and SirMjac28 like this.
  9. adje

adje

Feb 3, 2004
    I seem to recall around 1980 the necks were even three bolt for a few years.

10. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    All of the PreEB 1976 til early 1980 necks are 3-bolt.
    During 1980 they transitioned to 4-bolts necks.

11. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    It doesn’t matter how many wood screws there are all that matters is the shape of the neck pocket and the scale length.

12. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Maybe you can send you neck into status graphite or warmoth and they can custom make a neck that works for you ? Probably not cheap but you’d hopefully get a great neck

BrentSimons likes this.
  13. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    All Status necks are undrilled, so you can just drill the holes you need - 3 or 6-bolt. The necks will fit a 2.5" neck pocket, so it will be easy for the OP to determine the fit. In any case, a quick email to [email protected] will answer any questions.

14. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Lol. I mean I knew that, but, 40 year old brain.

mikewalker likes this.
  15. . . . . . IF the neck has a separate fingerboard, it could possibly be steamed off, the truss rod problem addressed, and then reassembled. Don't know where you are in Cali, but certainly first-rate techs in SoCal that could handle this. Of course, is there inarguable proof the truss rod is indeed broken ?

. . . . . you could buy a similar vintage used piece and do a neck swap.

. . . . . the Status necks are fabulous, but they're not cheap (they're built to very high standards, nothing cheap about them). Of course, money spent on a bass from 1979 is a subject only you can address on any of these choices.

. . . . . or, Today's Number One Answer: New bass time !

Erik Asma and BrentSimons like this.
  16. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    There are a number of good luthiers on the forum. I suggest asking this question in that section and you may well find someone that can fix the neck for you there. A 79 Stingray can't be left on the sideline. If you can't get the neck repaired I would suggest one of the Status necks, you would need to be sure that the scale length and pocket dimensions are the same on an early Musicman as what those necks are designed for.

17. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    It may be a long shot, but you may want to contact CLF Research/G&L. From what I recall they made a lot of components for Music Man. They seem to take on a lot of odd old G&L projects, not sure if they'd do a MM.

18. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Musicman will sell you a replacement neck only if you return the original broken one. I've gone through this process before.

Terms and conditions might have changed since then.

They make high quality instruments but the replacement parts policy sux big time. I mean BIG TIME!!!!!!!

The prices on new replacement necks are freakn ridiculous.

Winton, NigelD and bassdude51 like this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021