1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replace P pup only on a P+J?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mike19, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Mike19

Mike19

Aug 11, 2009
    Tallahassee, Fla
    I have an Ibanez SR300 which has "DX" (Ibanez) P+J pups (P at mid and J at bridge) and a 2 band Ibanez preamp. This bass was like only $275 new. This is the old version which was discontinued in 2007. I bought it last month for $150 at a pawn shop with the intent of hot rodding it if I got some extra money.

My questions:

Is any reason why I could not upgrade just the J pup and leave in the stock J pup?

If not, what would be the best brand? I've heard a lot of good things about the diMarzio P pups.

Would just upgrding the P pup or even the J pup too, make enough of an improvement w/o also upgrading the stock Ibanez preamp?

2. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Is any reason why I could not upgrade just the J pup and leave in the stock J pup?

^this... Say What?

3. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    IME pickup sets have the potential to get fussy when mismatched - especially P/J.

The issue is, how will they interact? You might get lucky. Or you might find one pickup overwhelming the other and/or get phase cancellation. (The latter can be corrected fairly easily by reversing the wires on one of the pickups.)

If you're on a budget and don't mind tinkering, you can poke around until stuff works. If you're in the mood to do it once & be done with it, I'd advise to hold out for a matching set & replace both at once.

4. Mike19

Mike19

Aug 11, 2009
    Tallahassee, Fla
    My bad.

This was supposed to be:
    upgrade just the P pup and leave in the stock J pup

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    sure, there's no reason you couldn't swap out one or the other (or both, or both and the preamp). as long as the replacement is "in phase" (in polarity to be correct) with the leftover pickup, it'll work just fine.