Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

replace pickups in Lakland 4-94

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Type-55, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2000
    I'm thinking of swapping out the pups in my Lakland 4-94. The usual j/mm combo. Has anyone heard the stock Lakland pups compared to Bart CB pups or the Nordstrand j/mm combo? Bart peamp would be used in either case.

Thanks,
    Doug

2. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I know Matt Power (jacochops) has had multiple 44-94's where he swapped the mm PU out with a Nordy mm (and kept the Bart pre). I've got to assume it sounds good, but I haven't heard the results. You might PM him. Hope he can help. KJung recently swapped the Bart setup out with a Duncan setup installed at Lakland. He seemed to like it. I like the Bart stuff pretty well myself.

Will

3. Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    It would be nice to hear from Kjung or jacochops about this. I'm looking for a little more open sound. Not as compressed as the Barts but still smooth and fat. I'm not looking for an aggressive in your face tone.

4. RD

RD

Jun 17, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Type-55,
    My Lakland 4-76 has a Darkstar that sounds pretty open and smooth to me. Lakland now offers these on new basses, so they may be a drop in replacement for you in the bridge. For the neck position, search this forum for opinions on various jazz type pickups.
    The search function is your friend!
    RD

5. Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    I would be surprised if the body routings for a MM and a Darkstar are the same. Could be wrong.

6. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
  7. Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    That was a great thread. Thanks for the link. What do you think creates the Bart sound? The pups, preamp or both. Many people use the Bart pre with a variety of pups. I've heard it with Fralins and to me the bass was boomy not a tight round Bart low end at all. All comments are welcome.

8. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    bump!

im also looking foward to change the bats pups in my 4-94. they sound thin.

what does "in your face" is supposed to sound? any example of bassist/song is welcomed