1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

replace pickups on telecaster bass and Blacktop P bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mustang26, Jan 8, 2012.

1. mustang26

mustang26

Dec 26, 2011
    Looking for aftermarket ,quiet,good humbucking pickup replacements for BLACKTOP PRECISION BASS and Modern player Telecaster Bass

Suggestions?

IMP:screw placements & pickup placements
    Passive pickups required
    :bassist:

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
  3. The first question is - what problem are you trying to solve? There's no point in swapping pickups unless you're trying to solve a problem.

The second question is: have you tried changing strings? That can make nearly as much difference as a pickup change.

4. I think he means big humbuckers, that's what comes standard on these basses.

My 2 cents: aren't the distinctive (for fender) pickups what make these basses attractive in the first place?

5. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    I am looking to purchase an (unloaded) Blacktop Precision and would, also, be interested in a pickup which would be the same dimensions as the stock one... maybe not what the OP was asking? ... but I am... anyone 'sure' of the dimensions and know of a good quality replacement? I am thinking of just covering the neck p/u hole with a solid p/g- and have 1 humbucker. thx

6. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Those dual-J pickups can be very hard to find.

SGD can make pickups inside similar shells, but I believe the mounting screw tabs are ever-so-slightly off.

Apparently Rio Grande makes some, but I've never actually heard of anybody actually buying them and trying them out.

I think Schaller used to make something similar, but I've never seen one for sale.

Maybe try contacting Fender and see if you can order some?

7. StephenDaRacket

StephenDaRacket

Mar 23, 2013
  8. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    No, currently they are exact drop ins. The old covers I used where the wrong size. I make the neos and sidewinders in closed covers, and I also have this pickup now:

AVS-DLX.

newyorkiddo likes this.
  9. That's the primary reason I'm considering the MP Tele bass. From the few clips I've heard, I WANT that sound. I can't see any reason I would get that particular bass and then immediately turn around and swap out the p'ups. That would completely invalidate the reason I would get the damn thing in the first place. As you say, those basses have those pickups as their primary selling point.