Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replace pots or add preamp squier P 5

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gintaras, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    Yesterday I had a thread going for some help on installing Bartolini's in my Squier precision 5.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197492

It sounds great!!! Now I have read on talkbass that the pots are not that great. The bass has 500 ohm pots. Where should I go to get new ones

I was also thinking about putting in the Seymour Duncan STC-2P preamp. It was designed for passive pu's and it uses the same amount of knobs (blend, master volume, and stacked bass/treble controls). The mod is basically a little soldering and drilling one hole in the pickup guard for the slap switch.

My question is should I just replace the pots and use outboard gear. I do have a Behringer BDI 21 and was thinking about a Digitech bass squeeze. Or should I invest in the Duncan preamp??

I am having a great time with my project bass and really using it as a learning tool for understanding what has changed since the my bass playing in the 70's. (I just started playing again 8 months ago after a 24 year hiatus)

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Experimentation is exactly that and you have to make your own call depending on who you are. If you're the kind to be always wondering about what the Ducnan would have sounded like then get the Duncan so you'll know and not wonder.

I have found no significant difference in tone quality in the onboard preamps I've had and I don't even use them anymore. They are pretty necessary for long cable runs and if you want significant boost/cut onboard control.

If you use pedals or stand next to the amp I don't seem much point in them. With onboard pre's, your'e stuck with what you've got, outboard you can move whatever in and out as you choose.

For more tone control, I also prefer two volumes over a blend and volume. A blend and a volume is more useful for getting quick tone between pups. Typically with two volumes you can leave one set and simply adjust the other to adjust accordingly.

I've used different kinds of pots and personally don't see a difference from CTS to cheap Ibanez.