Replace preamp in cheap ABG?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by YosemiteSam, Feb 9, 2017.

1. YosemiteSam

YosemiteSam

Jun 8, 2005
    Chatham, MA
    I've got a Samick AB-2 ABG. A few weeks ago I used it at a gig and it was fine (though cheap feeling ;)). A couple of days ago I plugged it in and was greeted with scratchiness coming through the amp like I was pushing the plug in and out (I wasn't). This particular bass has both a piezo and microphone pickup, and a slider control to mix the two. It didn't matter which I used, the scratchiness was still there. It appeared very little sound was coming out of the piezo, but some.

I tried changing batteries, pulled out the preamp and looked for broken connections, but couldn't find any. Futzing with the internal wiring while plugged in didn't change anything. Nothing appears to be loose, no broken connections, though the wiring harness was stuck to the top with one of those stick-on cable tie posts, and the adhesive failed.

The tuner in the preamp section still works, and picks up a signal from both the piezo and mic (assuming the tuner uses one of those for input).

I'm thinking the preamp might be fried, but really have no idea. I did a half-hearted search online but all I found are the guitars themselves, no parts. Any suggestions here?

2. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

You should be able to get an aftermarket Fishman unit (something like this) to replace your failed unit. Maybe you won't have to do much drilling or cutting either. For reference...

I have a Fishman unit on my Fender Kingman ABG and it sounds fine.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  3. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
  4. YosemiteSam

YosemiteSam

Jun 8, 2005
    Chatham, MA
    Thanks for the replies!

I'll have to check the preamps. I know I have a "mix" slider for the two pickups, and a tuner. I think a 3-band EQ, as well; bass, treble, and presence.