1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

replace rickenbacker output jack help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dju, Oct 9, 2017.

1. dju

dju

Jan 15, 2014
    Texas
    hi all, I tried googling and the search function but I haven't found what I was looking for which is strange as google is my friend and it usually works.

I am thinking about replacing my Rickenbacker 4003's output jack as it makes noise and frequently one of the pickups doesn't come through. I can wiggle the cable and it will usually come in so I am guessing the jack might need to be replaced.

borrowed image:
    upload_2017-10-9_14-9-55.jpeg

I tried to put a socket on the nut but the output jack plate gets in the way. the jacks are sunken in a little and the gap between the nut and jack plate is to thin for the socket to get in there. I know you experienced Rickenbacker guys/gals know what I am talking about. what tool are you using to remove output jacks? Needle nose pliers are a last resort that I don't want to use.

thanks for any help you can give,
    dj

2. Get a thin-wall socket from your local auto parts store.
    In the meantime, put some contact cleaner on a instrument cable plug & just plug it in & out of the jack several times, and spin it around a little also.

3. dju

dju

Jan 15, 2014
    Texas
    thanks for the reply K_B_D. I'll try and find a thin wall socket. however so far looking on line pretty much most of what I have found has been thin wall impact socket sets and while I have not seen one in person yet I am thinking impact sockets are still going to be pretty thick. But I'll try and get to the parts store and take a look at them.'

thanks again,
    dj

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. farace

farace Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    Just a quick note that there are extra contacts on Ric outputs that aren't on most lesser basses' jacks :)D) that might just need some cleaning. Also, it's been reported that some brands of plug (Monster) were slightly oversized and bending the contacts on some output jacks, so you might want to make sure they're making adequate contact.

5. dju

dju

Jan 15, 2014
    Texas
    Ordered the Cruz tool, thanks for pointing it out to me.
    I'll also take a look at the jack before replacing and see if anything looks off as well as use some contact cleaner on it.

thanks again for the help,
    dj