Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replace Stack Knob assembly (62 RI Jazz)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by sincity, Jan 28, 2003.

1. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I have a 62 (USA) RI Jazz and want to swap out the stack knob control assembly for a standard control assembly such as (V/V/T).

Has anybody ever done this?

If so, do you think I could use a Standard Contol Assembly like the one shown on my attachment?

Yes, I will replace the Squire type knobs.

What do you think the cost would be for parts if I did not buy the item on ebay.

Thanks for your help.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2504326831&category=7266

2. I have done that swap on a '62 reissue, and it works fine. Cost is negligible.

3. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    "I have done that swap on a '62 reissue, and it works fine. Cost is negligible."

Hi Marty,

Did you notice any tonal difference with the new setup?

Thanks

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    He's lying. This is a control plate from a MIM Jazz bass. The control plate should fti but the pots are kinda crappy.

Any particular reason you're looking to change them? I always liked how the stacked knobs looked on Jazz basses.

The control plate would bwe about $10-15, the pots are about $5-6 each, a set of knobs are about $10-15 & the input jack would be about $4-5 . Plus a tone capasiter (sp?). $??

5. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    He's lying. This is a control plate from a MIM Jazz bass. The control plate should fti but the pots are kinda crappy.

Any particular reason you're looking to change them? I always liked how the stacked knobs looked on Jazz basses.

Hey Nino,

Actually, it was me who assumed that it was from a Squire Jazz. (My Bad)

I actually like the sound of the stacked knob setup and the looks for the most part, but I think changing the tone or volume midway through songs gets to be a pain in the butt. Sometimes I might accidentally roll of the volume while trying to adjust tone.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Yeah. That's happened to me when I've tried the basses in stores. Personally I like the Volume, Blend & tone on a Jazz bass.

7. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    No, the seller is lying or not sure of what he has. The title for the auction states that it's USA when I know deinitly it's a control plate & electronics from a Mexican (cheaper) model.

Cool Nino,

Thanks for the information. The one thing I don't want to do is put crappy electronics in this bass.