1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replace truss rod nut to a bullet style nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Brockerboy, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Brockerboy

Brockerboy

Nov 15, 2012
    ct
    I plan on getting a vintage modified 70s jazz neck, and i want to change the truss rod nut to a bullet style one?..

how would i do this??

thanks

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    My questions would be, will the bullet style nut fit in the hole in the headstock, and do the trussrod size and threads match?

3. Brockerboy

Brockerboy

Nov 15, 2012
    ct
    those are basically my questions... anybody with the answers to those would be greatly appreciated :D

4. Brockerboy

Brockerboy

Nov 15, 2012
    ct
    bump, please help

5. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    I've looked into this before for a MIM Tele, but haven't seen any success stories.

What I've gathered is that the bullet is a touch too big to fit in the access hole. My idea was to wrap the orig nut in sandpaper and slowly sand out the black liner. I think it's possible that it would work. The threads are the same on MIM Fenders, but I don't know about the Squier which is likely metric. If so, the MIJ bullet nut might be the same, but you'd have to check first. I ended up selling the guitar I'd planned on doing this to, though.

Best of luck and please update if you go forward with the plan.

6. Brockerboy

Brockerboy

Nov 15, 2012
    ct
    ^thanks for the input
    i was wondering about the black lining in the hole there...
    hopefully it fits..

7. landau roof

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    I can guarantee that it won't fit through without some work. First step in the process for you will be to determine if there's a bullet that will work on the Squier threads. And if not, if you can tap the threads on one of the available bullets. I had a Hondo guitar that had something very close to a Fender bullet nut, and I've seen lots of Japanese guitars with them. If you could find one of those it may work, but I doubt there will be any info on the thread size and pitch.

Forgot another thing to consider: The rods on guitars equipped with bullets are longer. Depending on how deep in the hole your existing nut is, it may not even be visible, or hardly at all, if you are able to swap it.

8. Brockerboy

Brockerboy

Nov 15, 2012
    ct
    what do you mean by "tapping threads"

9. Brockerboy

Brockerboy

Nov 15, 2012
    ct
    ive read a few articles and found out the squier truss rod is indeed thinner than the threads on the bullet... so how would i make the hole smaller...

10. landau roof

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    Tapping threads is cutting the existing threads to a new pitch. If the rod is smaller, you're probably SOL unless there's an alternative nut that will work or maybe something like a heli-coil that's small enough if those even exist.

11. I was wondering about this too, for my own VM J. Sound slike a lot of hassle. Wht about modifying a Fender (or other, if available) bullet to be used as a non-functional decoration?

12. landau roof

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    Roll up a ball of tinfoil or you could also spread some brown modelling clay in there and make it look like the walnut insert on a early '70s.

Personally, I think the blackhole is hideous (obviously, y'all do too) and can never see myself owning a guitar with one for the long haul. Petty, I know.

13. Brockerboy

Brockerboy

Nov 15, 2012
    ct
    maybe ill buy the bullet and use c. lintons idea.. get it to stay in there somehow just as a decoration..

14. OleDad

OleDad

Jan 13, 2016
    It can be done easily. Take out the nut plug, remove the strings, and remove the truss nut. Get a machine shop to modify your existing truss, nut. The original nut will need the hex head drilled out, and tapped to a 10/32 thread size. Join this to the Bullet head with a hardened steel bolt, with the head cut off. Use red loctite, and bolt the bullet head and original truss nut together. Have the machine shop cut you a and unthreaded spacer to fit on the bottom end of your new truss nut. This spacer is used to define how far the nut extends from the adjustment hole in the headstock.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
    frankencat and FronTowardEnemy like this.
  15. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    And the hex in the top is the reason you didn't just make a nut from scratch?

What about the bullets that are cross drilled for a plain rod?

16. OleDad

OleDad

Jan 13, 2016
    The black hex head bolt is a hardened steel 1 inch 10/32 bolt. I cut the head off it, and it become the threaded rod that I used to bolt the bullet head to the original truss rod nut. I had the original truss rod hex nut, drilled an tapped to 10/32 thread at the top.
    If you do it the way I am explaining the top of the original nut where the current hex adjustment is, can be modified to 10/32 female thread and the original thread can be maintained at the bottom. If you look at the last picture you can see the original truss rod nut is joined to the new bullet head by the threaded rod I made using the hardened steel bolt.

FronTowardEnemy likes this.
  17. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    @fhm555 makes a valid point though, why did you do that when you obviously could have just made a custom bullet nut?

18. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I follow your fab/assembly sequence. I was just wondering why all that when a new nut would be simpler, except for the top hex, which is why i suspect i see so many bullet nuts cross drilled to accept a rod to serve as an adjustment lever?

19. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Interesting, in checking out and working on many, many guitars and basses with bullet trussrods over the decades, I've never seen that. How many times have you come across it?

20. OleDad

OleDad

Jan 13, 2016
    Doing it my way is easier then making a custom nut. Making a custom nut would be hard. How do you plan on making a female hex head hard enough to withstand the stress of moving a guitar neck? Are you going to forge the new bullet nut yourself? This assembly takes about 1 hour and can be done easily with a standard tap and die set, drill and vise. When the new assembly is set it can only be undone with a torch at high heat. This method makes a strong permanent bond between the bullet head you can buy on ebay, and the existing truss nut. Connecting the original truss rod nut to the bullet head makes it possible for any guitar to be modified regardless of the thread used on the truss rod, metric or standard. The other benefit is if you decide to restore the neck to original spec, buying a truss nut and plug is easily done.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016