Replace V4B with a PF-500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass2020, Mar 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Need a little advice - looking at you Jimmy.
    Reading the title you'd probably think i'm crazy.

Last week I purchased a used V4B from the local Guitar Center - $899. It's in great condition however the power light is out. I also picked up the 212av cab. The tone is pretty sweet. However, there is a loud rattle at moderate volume from inside the head. I tightened all external screws btw. Anyway, i had my first practice with it last night and I guess it just doesn't have the power that I need. I had to push it fairly hard to keep up - the style is rock but not heavy. While I do like a little breakup/overdrive - the rig was distorting a lot - like, fart out bad. So yea, great amp but I need something more versatile as I play in a few groups ranging from softer rock, funky blues, and the previously mentioned rock (the loudest).

So, I need an SVT. However, that's not in the budget and I do not want to hump around a 100 pound head. A local store has a new pf-500 on closeout (they are no longer an Ampeg dealer) for $279 but neither they or Guitar Center have PF cabs to try out. Would the pf-500 with a couple PF cabs offer up significantly more headroom and volume compared to the V4B with 212av?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  2. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Well, I returned the V4B/212av :-(, bought the pf-500, and ordered two PF-115lf's which will arrive tomorrow.

pcake likes this.
  3. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Good luck with the exchange.
    YMMV, but owning both a PF800 and a V4B reissue, there is no way I'd choose my 800 over the V4B. I wonder how you had the amp EQ'ed? Did you crank GAIN and adjust MASTER and that is where all your breakup came from (driving preamp stage)?

Rattle was probably tube rattle or tube housing rattle, which can be mitigated by placing a buffer of sort between cab and head (not that it matters much now, however).

Regarding volume with the new setup, I'd be willing to bet that with larger speakers and higher projection height (since you're stacking 2 15's) you'll definitely perceive a louder rig. All things being equal, I'd be curious to know if the 500 is capable of that much more volume than the V4B would have been with a new speaker configuration(?)

4. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Believe me, I didn't want to have to return the V4B! It sounded so good playing at home. But it sounded pretty nasty (and not the good nasty) at band practice. It wasn't just a little overdrive or distortion - it sounded bad. For EQ, I was changing it frequently during the 4 hour practice. Trying upping the gain and adjusting the master, upping the master and adjusting volume via the gain, and just about everything in between. Being that it was used, I have to wonder if it had an issue or needed new tubes. I didn't buy it on a whim. I researched and read tons of reviews on this forum and elsewhere and from all those reviews, it seems like it should have done the job - but it didn't for some reason. Oh well, hopefully the pf-500 and 2 115lf's will get it done. I don't need much more volume than I was getting on the V4B, i just don't want it to sound like i'm destroying my cones. It sounded that bad.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  5. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Was the cab used as well? Honestly sounds to me like the cab could have been your issue here.

Sartori and P-oddz like this.
  6. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    It's definitely possible that it could've been a tube issue. The fact that there were already issues you mentioned (power LED out, possible rattle that may/may not have been tubes) that would make me think you weren't getting a spotless amp to begin with. I know it's only my subjective, anecdotal experience, but I am able to get a LOT of volume out of the V4B that delivers what I would call "throat" (meaning: thick, edge of dirt tone) before it would get into "fart" territory. With my 212AV, I run MASTER at 3 and GAIN at noon.

Regardless, I hope the PF500 works out for you. IMO, it's a more sterile tone, but is capable of some power (at least speaking for the PF800).

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Sorry, just saw this thread today. If it's not working out for you, it's not working out for you. But if you have to go SS, the PF500 is a very good choice. Don't have one but I have the PF800, and while it's mostly relegated to backup status, I do use it on occasion and I think it sounds killer.

pcake and The Chuck like this.
  8. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right!

Oct 25, 2013
    Ajax Ontario
    I have the PF500, running a PF-115 and a PF-210....pretty sure you will be happy with your new rig.

bass2020 likes this.
  9. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    The cab was sold as new but was the floor demo at GC and wasn't in perfect condition.

10. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Yea, it must have been something because I did try a similar gain/master setting like you run and it was not pretty at all.

11. This saddens me.:thumbsdown:

JimmyM and bass2020 like this.
  12. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Right on. Yea, i'll be trying out the 500 at practice this weekend and if it's not enough power then I'll pick up the 800.

pcake, kpc and JimmyM like this.
  13. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    I own the PF800 and also the PF115lf and love it. It's great for small to medium gigs.

bass2020 likes this.
  14. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    The saga continues...
    I did get the pf-500 and two pf115lf cabs. Awesome rig. Love the fullness of the lf cabs without any upper range loss. However, the baffle on one of the cabs started rattling after a couple weeks of playing just at home levels and once at moderate in a blues setting practice. I called Sweetwater and they provided a shipping label, they'll test to confirm the issue, then send a replacement.

15. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    You should have looked at the Gallien Kruger or the Mesa offerings.

These are the best things going out there IMHO.

16. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Thanks for the suggestion. However, those brands just don't do "it" for me the way an Ampeg does.

High Camp and JimmyM like this.
  17. jdubbass38

jdubbass38

Mar 20, 2009
    If you still have the v4b I would suggest a second cabinet, yes it more to move but honesty makes a huge difference. I been running my v4b with the ampeg 610hlf...it's huge sounding and never ran the gain or master past half. I had duel 610 cabs for a wile, it was even bigger! With duel 212 cabs I would imagine it be right up there with a 610 or 810. Good luck on your PF heads, great sounding, I had a PF 500 for a wile but nothing like an all tube.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Sez you :p Nothing wrong with the PF500. It's a great sounding little amp.

bass2020 likes this.
  19. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    The way you describe it makes me think the V4B is defective. I'm no expert, but i play one on TB sometimes :p

20. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    Better tone from my GK and Mesa heads. 2 supped up 410 GK cabs and I pretty much got the best sounding rig I've ever had.

And I did have a SVT rig once.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021