Replace V4B with a PF-500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass2020, Mar 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Whatever.

johnpbass and bass2020 like this.
  2. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I thought about this but that I drive a Civic. The 212 fit in the trunk - just. I can get both 115lf's in the back seat and use the trunk for the head, pedalboard, basses, and beer.

High Camp and jdubbass38 like this.
  3. Jefff

Jefff

Aug 14, 2013
    Chicago
    I am now old. I can toss a PF800 across a very large room. I weeze carrying an SVT. If I could get a roadie, I'd go tubes, simply because tubes "feel" a bit better to me.

But not better enough to carry it.

shoot-r likes this.
  4. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Update: I'm returning the second of the two pf115lf's. It's making the same rattle/buzz that stops when I press against the baffle as did the previously returned unit. Also, volume output seems low. As in, with the -15db on I can't get the amp to peak - even when cranking the gain. However, with -15db off it peaks very quickly and sounds distorted. This is a new development over the past few days. Could this be an amp issue or related to the cab?

Oh, and Sweetwater said that the first returned 115lf needed a new driver. Which to me seems odd since this buzzing stopped when I pressed on the baffle. However, i'm not in any way an expert when it comes to amps - obviously.

Am I lucky or what?

I've ordered the pf-410lf as the replacement - hopefully it will work out this time!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  5. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Something just occurred to me and i'm quite embarrassed actually...how could I have received two cabs that sounded fine out of the box then declined in sound when I've never even turned them up too loud?

However, shortly after receiving the pf115lf stack I saw this Ampeg video and decided to follow the eq settings as I liked the overdriven tone in the video - . Fast forward to about 7:15, he cranks the gain to 11 on the pf-500. Well, when I did this it sounded similar until one noticeably louder note that sounded just awful. I immediately backed off the gain. Is it possible that I damaged the speakers or amp? I would hope not since I did exactly what was done in the Ampeg video! :thumbsdown:

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Notice what Dino's master volume was set on...8:30. Yes, it's very possible you blew a speaker. You can never go by raw numbers alone when deciding how loud to turn up your rig before it blows. You always have to use your ears.

7. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    I do believe it will. I would use the PF410 cab to match it. More speakers equals more sound. Or two of your favorite cabs. JMTC

8. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I did notice the volume when I tried it. While I do not recall my exact volume setting, it was only moderately loud. I was at home and not trying to offend the neighbors too much. Well, i'll be careful when the pf-410lf arrives keeping the gain at a clean level and use the Big Muff for overdrive. Do you think I could have damaged the amp at all?

This makes me feel like a noob. In 17 years of playing (and playing loud in several bands) i've never experienced one single amp/cab issue and here I am not even trying to be loud and I may have blown brand new speakers...lesson learned.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I don't see how.

Well you may have not, either :D But yeah, always better to err on the side of caution when it comes to cabs.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021