1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replaced 57 RI P Bass pickguard - do I need pickguard shield?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Britbonic, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Britbonic

Britbonic Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I have a 2008 57 AV PBass that I love. Lightweight, resonant and sounds great. However I just can't deal with the gold anodized pickguard. Yea, I know it's original and all but after a couple months I decided I needed to change it to a more traditional tort guard. Now that it looks and feels better to me I'm wondering if I also need to add a pickguard shield underneath. The 62 tort guard is just plastic with no foil or other shielding underneath.

Anyone have experience with these? Do I need one and will it make the bass quieter?

2. ReidK

ReidK Jst sy n t lsy cmprsn.

It will almost certainly lower the noise level, and it can't hurt.

What I do on all my pickguards is cover the back with heavy duty alluminum foil, applied with a spray adhesive like 3M 77. Trim (carefully) with an exacto knikfe after gluing. Piece of cake, cheap, and works very well.

Reid

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021