Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replaced your Carvin pups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by basstrader, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Hey to all you guys who have replaced the stock Carvin pups, what did you use? I know that the standard routes are for 2 bridge sized pickups, Is that by any chance the same as the older MIM Jazz?

What 'high end' pickups do you like? and what about the stock preamp vs. aftermarket?

Stay Low,

BT

2. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    There are a lot of choice for replacing a J99 or an H50. I think the size is 95mm x 19mm, so any jazz type pickup that size will work. I got a Bartolini 59JL and that works nicely with the stock preamp.

I think Barts, Duncan basslines, or Lawrence pickups are good choices. The best man to talk to is Chucko (chucko58 on here). He knows his stuff!

If you have a MM style humbucker you want to replace, and you have the regular size neck, there are Bart and Duncan replacements I think. I have the wider neck so the MM pickup in mine is a little too big for a drop in. Although, I haven't really looked in to it much because I wanted to keep that pickup anyway.

3. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    BTW, The sound of the Bartolini 59JL neck pickup is bit dark and natural sounding, very even...It sounds great, but its at its best when its blended with the MM bridge pickup for a fuller sound.

4. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    You flatter me. :oops: But I only have experience with a couple of these. I have a pair of Barts on the shelf for a future project.

Yes, both J type pickups on a Carvin are the standard Fender Jazz bridge length - 3-3/4". No matter how many strings the bass has, they all use the same J-style pickups.

You can get away with a standard J style pair if you don't mind a small (1/16") gap on either end of the neck pickup.

Some 3rd party pickups, like the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz and the no-name (purported "Sadowsky") overwound single coils currently in my LB75, are a bit taller than standard. They will fit, but you may have to cut down the springs, or install a piece of foam under the pickup instead.

I like the Bill Lawrence J-45L pair in my LB76. They are a straight drop-in replacement for the stock P/Us. They're fairly bright, and the outer strings are slightly hotter than the rest, but they sound tremendous, especially for the money!

The current Carvin active/passive preamp is pretty good for noise and battery life, though the EQ center frequencies might not be what you prefer. Older active-only versions are definitely inferior to the current one. I haven't tried the Bart, Aguilar, or U-Retro myself, though I have a U-Retro waiting to go into one of my projects.

5. Good info you guys, thanks.

I looked on the Lawrence web site and was pleasantly surprised at the prices. I might look in to those, assuming I get the bass I want. It has the older electronics in it, maybe the best route would be to upgrade that first? It has the single coil Carvins in it.

Stay low! (E?, D?, B? F#?)

BT

6. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    The downside of the Bill Lawrence pickups is that they are wound to order... and the lead time is at least 6 weeks at this writing. But you do get personalized service, and you're directly supporting one of the best pickup designers in the world.

If you're going to replace the preamp, it's worth looking at the Bart and Aguilar preamps, which are only a little more expensive than the current Carvin. The U-Retro is reported to be very good, but it is pricey.

7. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    If the bass you are looking at has the older preamp, unless someone has changed them out already it probably has the H50N pickups. The J99s weren't available until around the time the new preamp was also available.