1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replaceing cab speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dose, Apr 16, 2009.

1. dose

dose

Nov 2, 2008
    Mobile,AL
    not sure if this is the right place or not but here goes i recently started playing bass again after 10 years. So i when out and bought some gear,being im alot older now i have more cash to spend so i bought a nicer head then i had 10 years ago an Ampeg SVT-3 pro as well as a nicer bass ect... I still had my older hartke 410 transporter cab from back them just never could seem to get rid of it i guess.So i get home hook everything up sounds great! I'm happy with everything but one thing, at low volume the cab still sounds great but soon as a give it a little juice it falls on it's face i know it's only 300watts max and that's the reason so my question is this since the cab is still in almost new condition do i A look for some replacement speakers and keep the old girl or B shell out another 500+ dollars on a new or newer one? i was looking at these
    Eminence Legend BP102 for replacements but am open to any suggestions you guys might have Thanks in advance

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi dose.

Speakers & cabs have to be matched to yield a good tone.

You may be better off selling the Hartke 410 Transporter (or keeping it for use in a rehearsal space) and getting a modern/good-sounding cab which compliments the rest of your rig. 'Clean sweep and all that.

3. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    See, "good tone" is a purely subjective thing. What one guy likes is what another hates...as with most things.

Those BP 102 speakers you looked at...I put 4 of them in an old SWR Goliath II that I bought for $75, with 4 blown speakers.
    The tone I get out of the BP-102 is big and heavy with a vintage vibe. You need big power behind those speakers due to their 92dB sensitivity. They won't be as loud given the same power input as a speaker with a 97dB seinsitivity (as in the Delta 2510 speaker). The Transporter cab does not have a tweeter in it, Hartke relied on the Al cones to supply the highs. The BP-102 will sound way too dark without a horn.

it may be a better solution to get a new cab, because even if you get new speakers with paper cones speakers (with more upper Hz response than the BP 102), you're still missing a horn for the highs.

4. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

The goliath cab is different from the Hartke, so your results are naturally different.

5. dose

dose

Nov 2, 2008
    Mobile,AL
    The BP-102 where really the only ones i looked at but i do see your point the alum drivers do add a little more high end maybe that's why they didn't add a horn or the fact that is was a cheaper cab 15 years ago (yea it's that old) but looks new guess that why i thought about trying to revive it. I have more than enough power with the SVT but would rather have an 8 ohm 410 cab for now so i could add another later if i started to play out again. I really like the 810 sound but atm it's just to much. So i guess i should just ditch the hartke plan and maybe just look for another nice cab,any suggestions that wont set me back to far? I've been looking at the Avatar's they seem like a really good deal for the price but the small magnet worries me alittle.

6. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Neo anxiety..? :D

Re Avatar, these folks can answer some of your queries: Avatar Owners Club.

7. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I never owned an avatar, but those who do absolutely love and swear by them. I have used the Neo speakers in a 2x10, and they do sound pretty good. The little magnet desn't mean little power...

8. I have 2 Avatar b410 neos and I love them and swear by them!
    If you don't want to spend a whole lot, Now is the time to get into speaker building. You have a good cabinet, get some speaker building software and plug in the dementions of the cab and then search for speakers that work well. There are tons of speaker choices out there. Don't rule out car speakers (yes I wrote car speakers and I am not going to debate it!) not all but most will work fine as bass guitar drivers and usually 4ohm. You have to find the ones with good bandwidth. The drivers with printed dust caps tend to cost less due to the company changing the logo style. Boss and Lanzar used to sell 250w rms 10" neos for about $30 but the high end cut off was aound 2k

Here are some sources for speakers.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/MCM-AUDIO-SELECT-55-1300-/55-1300

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/browse/Speaker Components/3829468/p/1

http://www.parts-express.com/speakers.cfm

http://www.cardiscountstereos.com/Subwoofers.asp

:bag: