1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replaceing the gold anodised pickguard with what?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sedan_dad, Mar 28, 2009.

1. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I dearly love my Precision but I can't stand the feel of that aluminum pickguard.
    The bass is that white transparent blonde color.
    Has anyone changed out that pickguard and what color worked on it?
    I guess black is a safe choice.
    Any pics of a white blonde with different pickguard?

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    TORT!

3. Why not shop some PG stores online and find somethin' that moves ya?

Or failing that, tort.

4. +1 for Tort!!

5. eee

eee

Jan 17, 2009
    A pony!

I mean,

blue!

6. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Anything except tort. Please...

7. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I'm not sure if you mean White Blonde, or the Honey Blonde that comes on the Classic '50s MIM P-Bass. I have one of those in Honey Blonde. I got it used. Whomever had it before me had replaced the gold anodized pickguard with a tort. The tort looked killer; but ironically, I WANTED a gold anodized on that particular color combination. It blends great with the maple board. Anyway, here are some pics. If yours is the American Vintage '57 Reissue, then it is White Blonde. This might give you some idea though. Before and After:

100_1123.

100_1135.

8. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Oh yeah, I meant to tell you that if you like the color of the gold anodized, but not the feel, you can get a gold pickguard in the regular plastic rather than the anodized aluminum. But I'd think twice about changing it if I were you. See if you can get used to it. I used to have an AV '57 Reissue in the white blonde. I think the combination of that white blonde with the gold pickguard and maple board is one of the sweetest looking basses out there!

9. Gotta be tort!!!

10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    If it's just a feel thing you could lacquer the pickguard to smooth it out and change the feel.

11. Black. Would give it that vintage look.

Or you know,mirror...

12. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Tort is the best p/g colour in 99% of all Precision or Jazz applications. Another vote for tort.

13. WildTrkey

WildTrkey Banned

Mar 1, 2009
    Too bad the holes don't line up with standard pickguards of ANY color...I already looked into this for my fiesta red. There will be some drilling involved to get it right if you wanna replace it.

14. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Really? I replaced my aluminum guard, twice, once with a genuine Fender standard 13 hole tortoiseshell pickguard (you have the choice of 11 or 13 hole variants, in case you weren't aware), then again with a Warmoth b/w/b 13 hole pickguard, and they both aligned perfectly with the stock holes...:meh: