1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

replacement 10" driver for Mesa/Boogie Buster 2x10 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassclef29, Apr 30, 2009.

1. bassclef29

bassclef29

May 30, 2005
    Greetings TBers,

I have a Mesa/Boogie Buster Bass 200 combo in the 2x10 configuration. It has the original EV speakers Mesa put in these things. I believe the speakers are 150-watters, 16 ohms each, wired in parallel for 8 ohms total impedance.

This amp/cab sounded (eek - past tense!) great. I often gig it as a cabinet only by removing the head in favor of something lighter. But now there's a buzz out of one speaker at higher volumes & lower notes. This occurs no matter which head I hook up.

I suppose one of the speakers is going bad. I'd rather replace it than fix it. [Other views welcome.]

The original EVM Basis drivers are no longer available. Would one of the Powerhouse drivers Mesa currently sells work as a direct drop-in replacement?

More specifically: Powerhouse are available as 16-ohm, 150-watt drivers, but would one of them match up OK with the old speaker?

All help is appreciated. All guidance welcome.
    Cheers,
    Joe in San Diego

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Why not just have them reconed? Cheaper, and no guessing, plus the'd be as good as new.

3. bassclef29

bassclef29

May 30, 2005
    RickenBoogie,

Appreciate the reply. As I have no experience with reconing, I fear reconed speakers aren't really as good as new. But perhaps my concern is off-base...

Do you have personal experience using reconed bass drivers? Is it expensive? The new Powerhouse Mesa drivers retail for $109 on the MB site.

I will definitely recone if performance can be brought back to 100% as-new at a price I can live with.

I don't know where to go for reconing service, but that's another issue.

Thanks again,
    Joe

4. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    I think the avg. recone is $60, YMMV and I could be incorrect.

They sound just as good as new.

5. bassclef29

bassclef29

May 30, 2005
    mrkreuzschlitz,

This sounds encouraging, both as to outcome and price. I'll call my amp tech soon and see what he has to say. Thanks.

6. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

You might contact Mesa to see if they're using different drivers in that exact same cabinet nowadays. If so, buy two of those new ones. If not, go for a recone.

It's a crapshoot to try any other speakers, because a cab is designed around the speakers.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Higher volumes and lower notes? That doesn't sound like a speaker problem to me. That sounds more like a rattling problem. Pull your speakers and make sure that the wires on the back of the cones aren't vibrating into them. Usually if the speaker is busted, you can hear it at any volume. If that doesn't work, do the old voice coil test by GENTLY pushing around the cone's dustcap with even pressure around the dustcap. If you feel rubbing, it's shot. If it moves smooth, it's fine, and the likelihood of you needing a reconing just went down a lot unless there's a torn cone (which can often be fixed with rubber cement and construction paper, or even duct tape in a pinch).

If it really is broken, I would definitely do a recone. EV's are too cool not to recone IMHO.

8. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    Reconing is a mixed bag ..unless the person who recones the speaker is using OEM materials ... but on the other hand ...you might get newer voice coils with a higher wattage rating and/or improved cone materials ... IMHO

9. Rawkabilly

Rawkabilly

May 4, 2007
    Central IL
    Ron "Uncle Spot" Veil does fantastic speaker reconing.
    Very cool, knowledgeable guy. He's up in Modesto.
    http://www.unclespot.com/

10. bassclef29

bassclef29

May 30, 2005
    Thanks all you guys for the fantastic advice. There's a lot to this! I'll try seeing if the buzzing is from a wire in the cab, though with Mesa stuff this seems unlikely. Worth a look, though! Wouldn't I like to find out there's no "real" problem.

EVs are among the most expensive drivers to recone, from what I've researched. With an old 2x10 cabinet like this, it almost seems more cost effective to abandon it and buy a good near-new cab --unless I can hold down the reconing cost.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    There's a reason if you ask me.

12. levis76

levis76 Seconds from getting ba...

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    I believe Mesa's new drivers are all neodymium, unless I'm mistaken. In which case, you need to replace both at the same time. Go for the recone, but first make sure that the speaker is bad. Just FYI, I thought my 410 Diesel had a bad driver. I took the back off the cab and found a rubber damper (the ones used to mount the front grille) wedged in the bottom of the cab!! I was very relieved.

13. bassclef29

bassclef29

May 30, 2005
    Appreciate all who responded. Update:

The speaker sounded progressively worse until I knew it was done. The amp tech confirmed that the cone had a tear in it.

I'm waiting to find out if the original speaker (no longer manufactured) can be reconed. I hope so. If not, I'll replace both drivers, so at least they'll match.

Another question: which drivers would you drop in to stay as close as possible to the original tone? Eminence Legend BP-102s appear to be a reasonable alternative (about $75 each), but I'm open to suggestions.

Replacement 10" drivers for this cabinet would probably be the same as for late 90s/early 2000s Diesel 4x10s and 2x10s, if that helps.

Thank you.
    --Joe in San Diego, CA

14. Give Orange County Speaker a call. They are an hour's drive from you and are the best in the area. Have some 8" Celestions from my SWR Baby Blue in for reconing. I've have about 10 different speakers reconed by them if that tells you something.

15. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Without knowing the exact specs of the originals, there is no way to answer this question.

16. bassclef29

bassclef29

May 30, 2005
    Ben,
    Appreciate the heads-up on your trusted reconer. That you have had 10 different speakers reconed by them does tell me something. [You must play pretty loudly, LOL.]

I called OC Speakers, who assured me that they could do the job (cost: $89). Two-way shipping would probably add $15.

While installing two brand-new 10" drivers is an intriguing option, it carries the risk that I won't like the new tone as much as the original EV Basis tone.

Hmm.