1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacement 10's --- advice please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Timmy-Watts, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Timmy-Watts

Timmy-Watts Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hi all. I'll try to make this concise. My cabs of choice are my old school Carvin 210 without a tweeter and a newer Carvin 410t. They have the same speakers in them. I have used one or the other depending on the volume/room size. Sometime around 1999 my Walter Woods head blew out the cones in my smaller cab. Since 99% of my gigs are on that cab I just ripped out 2 from the 410 and used those in the 210.

Now I have hooked up with a rock guy and will be needing the 410, but will still be freelancing on upright and U-Bass, so I will still be using the 210 still, too. So, I will be putting the 2 matching drivers back into to 410 (will more used and less used drivers in the same cab even matter, or does it make a difference?), and need to pick what new pair of tens will go into my 210. I also just got an AI Clarus head that I plan on using with the 210 now, and it does 2 ohms. So I will need 2 4-ohm speakers (the backplate has a series/parallel switch that would select between 2 and 8 ohms with 4-ohm drivers, now with 8-ohm drivers it selects between 4 and 16.

Question is this: what 4-ohm 10" bass speakers should I get? I plan on using either head, and would use it for upright and electric and U-bass gigs. I am looking for something fairly loud, not too "voiced" and clear. (note: I tend to prefer no tweeter and warmer treble for all instruments, so no extended treble range is necessary).

Thanks!

2. Split the difference and wire the 2x10 to be 4 ohm with 8 ohm drivers. Then you have the pick of anything, probably eminence basslites or deltalites for a bit more. Bonus for having no chance of showing 2 ohm to the other amp.

3. Timmy-Watts

Timmy-Watts Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Well, I was thinking that since there is a switch already wired into the back plate, I would get a pair of 4-ohms and it could be 2 so I could get the full 300 watts of the AI head, and 8 for the woods (which has more power than id ever need) with a flick of a switch. And I could pair it with the 410 (also 8 ohms) if needed.