Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacement 10s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dirk, Jul 29, 2001.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Just out of curiosity, what kind of speakers (Ohms/power handling) would be the best for an 8 10 cabinet, if you want it to be 4 ohms and 800 watts RMS.

Dirk

2. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Hi - I'm jumping in because no one has replied yet. If you are intending to find drivers for an existing cabinet, you have to be very mindful of the whole driver parameter deal. There is much more than power handling and impedance involved. If you haven't done so, I recommend reading several good threads going on recently pertaining to cabinet design. You also need to have some idea of what you're willing to trade off in terms of efficiency vs. low end response. I suspect that Ampeg's SVT 810 (for example) uses drivers that give higher efficiency but at the expense of extreme low end.

If you are looking to replace a few of the drivers, you'd need to try to find the parameters for those remaining so that you can find reasonably good matches.

Once you find drivers with the right ballpark specs, then a decision will be easier. But I don't think that just picking a driver based on wattage and impedance will result in the best performance unless the other (Thiele-Small) parameters are fully considered. Given the size of the potential investment, that's what I recommend.

- Mike

3. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    One way of doing it (and the best way) is to run all 8 speakers in parallel. In order to get a 4 ohm load with 8 speakers, you'll need to use 32 ohm speakers. This is how Ampeg does it in their 8x10 SVT.

There are series-parallel and parallel-series variations that can be used with 16 and 8 ohm speakers, but besides being more complicate to wire, they also have shortcomings in case one driver blows. So that's the main reason I'd stick with a pure parallel arrangement, unless you have a hard time finding 32 ohm drivers.

As for your 800 watt requirement, 8 100 watts speakers in parallel will give you that.

You didn't mention what cab this is, but if it is an SVT, the sealed chambers and high resonant frequency of the original woofers almost cries for a direct replacement (from Ampeg or CTS). If you are talking about some other 8x10 with a ported/vented enclosure, then a 10" driver from Carvin or Eminence would be the most cost effective solution. The Eminence Alpha (100W) or Beta (150W) would probably work just fine, and cost you $50-60 per speaker.

If you want a more precise recommendation, then tell us what 8x10 you have.

Nightbass

4. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Well, after a quick look into what I've seen as uncharted territory for most people here:p, I find this:

Current Setup Fender MIM P, Dean Edge Q4, 70's Ampeg 810, Carvin PB200

Mebbe that'll help:D

5. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
  6. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Well,
    I do own an old Ampeg SVT810, but I don't have a head for it yet. My question was just to see what kind of dough I was looking at JUST IN CASE anything went wrong w/ the speakers. I know little about speaker life, and when I cranked it before I bought it, I heard no strange noises, etc. But I'm pretty sure the original drivers are in the cab, so I'm guessing they won't last forever, but hey, they've lasted 30 years... Thanks for the replies.

Dirk

7. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    If you had stated this at the outset, it would have saved me (and probably others) a lot of time.
    - Mike

8. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Sorry about that, I was in a rush when I made the post and I didn't even think about telling you guys what application I would be using the speakers for.

Dirk