1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacement 12in Speaker help.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by biggs1249, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Hello

I've got a workingman's 12 combo with a blown speaker. I was thinking of replacing it with an Eminence beta 12, which is rated at 250 watts (the amp is somewhere between 150 and 200), but I read a few posts on here which said that you can only give it 60 watts max(??). So I thought maybe the Delta 12 would be better? I'm a bit confused. would the beta or delta be better?

-Andrew

2. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Excursion, rather than thermal power handling, is usually the limiting factor in the bass region. The Beta 12A2 has a lot more excursion than the Delta 12A, and almost as much as the Delta 12LFA. This might be a new version of the Beta 12; I haven't kept track. Of course I cannot say whether or not it would work well in your particular combo without knowing the interior volume and tuning, but the driver itself looks pretty good for a relatively low-cost bass guitar speaker.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The A suffix indicates 8 ohms. B is 16 ohms, C is 4 ohms. The 12A-2 is the current model and has much better specs than the previous incarnation.

4. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Thanks, Bill! It had been a while since I looked at a Beta 12, as my recollection was that it wouldn't do what I wanted. But this version looks quite promising for the price.

5. so does more excursion = more limiting? or less?

are you saying the beta would be better than delta?

also I'm not really concerned with the tuning and what-not. this amp is discontinued so I can't find original replacements. I'd rather take what I can get than buy a whole new combo, which I cannot afford. I'm just concerned with getting the most power and not damaging the speaker.

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
  7. so which ones got more?

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    It's not really about what's got more it's about what will work better in the enclosure that you have.

Paul

9. ok so the Beta has 4.4 xmax and the Delta has 2.4. I wont blow out the beta running a 200 watt head at more than half volume?

10. DukeLeJeune

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    You're on the right track, biggs1249. Greater excursion = greater real-world low frequency power handling, all else being equal. Without knowing the internal volume and port tuning of your cab I can't model it and see what the actual excursion-limited power handling would be, but due to its longer excursion the Beta 12A2 will have about three times the excursion-limited power handling that the Delta 12A would have. So I think it's a good bet.

11. Thanks everyone for your help. I think I'll go with the beta. If any one thinks otherwise though, let me know cause it still might be a day or till till the purchase.

12. Hi.

Before You buy the Beta, why don't you take the kind offers to model the cab and choose the best replacement speaker for it?

Just like Paul and Duke said, it's not one or two specs that matter, it's the overall performance. The cab has to be tuned properly for the speaker. It might work as-is, but more than likely it will work better with re-tuning.

Just give us the internal dimensions of the cab and the port dimensions (shelved, IIRC, not easy to mod) and someone will give You the suggestion for the driver and/or the port.

Regards
    Sam

13. I didn't realize anyone was willing to do that. I'll check the specs and post them later.