Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

replacement 15 inch speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ms747, Dec 26, 2004.

1. ms747

ms747

Aug 10, 2001
    Australia
    hey all

ive been given an old laney speaker box, but the speaker is only low power 150w at 4 ohms, im getting a head and a 2x10 soon that is an 8 ohmn box and i am looking at putting in a new speaker in the 15 box at 8ohmn so that the overall output is 4 ohmn, when combined with the 2x10.

im in australia where in my experience is hard to get hold of resonably priced speakers quality speakers, so i am wondering if anyone coudl suggest a good replacement speaker that is not to expensive!

thanks for your help
    matt

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i forget the sites where you can get new speakers but someone will show up. Just keep in mind that cabinets are designed (hopefully) around the thiele/small parameters of the speaker(s) being used in them, so dumping any old 8 ohm speaker in there isnt garunteed to sound good. See if you can get the interior dimensions of the cabinet (or at least teh exterior dimensions), and port size (if any) that way you can match a speaker to it that will sound good in that box.
    Are you planning to put a higher wattage speaker in there? If so, what does your amplifier put out at 8 ohms and 4 ohms? And what wattage does your 2x10 handle? These are things to consider. Finally, another thing to consider is the sensitivity of the speaker you end up putting in the box. See if you can find out the sensitivity of your 2x10 and get a 15 that is right around the same so the two boxes will be the same volume.

3. ms747

ms747

Aug 10, 2001
    Australia
    thanks for the help.
    ill look into the 15 i dont know much about it as it was given to me.
    the 2x10 is 600 w and i know the amp will put out at 4 ohms, the sensitivity of the 2x10 that im looking at is 97 db at 1w/1m,
    i will look into the dimensions of the 15 cab and possibly take a pic if that helps
    thanks
    matt

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well if you havn't already bought it i would reccomend against that 2x10. 97 dB is a pretty horrible sensitivity for a bass cabinet. A cabinet with a sensitivity of 97 dB will require twice the poer to be as loud as a cab with a 100 dB sensitivity, and 4 times the power to be as loud as a cab with a sensitivity of 103 dB. I woudl shoot for getting cabs with at least 100 dB sensitivity or more.
    when you say the 2x10 is 600 watts do you mean it is rated at 600 watts? and when you say you know the amp will put out do you mean the amp will put out 600 watts at 8 ohms, or 4 ohms? or are you not sure what impedance it puts out 600 watts into?

5. ms747

ms747

Aug 10, 2001
    Australia
    the amp is only 300 w at 4 ohmn where the cab is rated at 600w at 8 ohmn
    ill admit the gear is behringer im on an extremely limited budget! i know this opens a can of worms but for my needs and budget the stuff sounds pretty good
    cheers

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    ms747, we'll need to know the dimensions of the existing cab. We'll also need some info about the existing porting. For example if it's circular, we'll need diameter and length. If they're shelf/rectangular, we'll need length, height and depth.

Don't worry about sourcing the speakers. I can get Eminence and P.Audio very easily through dealers here. I can also get a whole bunch of other brands but I've worked out the buying from the US and paying the shipping into Austr is actually cheaper than buying at Australian dealer prices. I'm just about the get some Beyma speakers this way.

7. ms747

ms747

Aug 10, 2001
    Australia
    ok guys thanks for the help heres attached some pics of the cab and also a sketch of the dimensions cheers , i hope the images work

Attached Files:

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    How deep are the ports? It looks like that may only be as deep as the timber width? If so, how thick is the timber on the front baffle?

9. ms747

ms747

Aug 10, 2001
    Australia
    the ports are just a open cut in the front panel where the speaker is held. ie you can see straight through to the back of the cab through the ports the depth of the front panel is about 2.5 cm.
    if you wanna chat on msn ms747@hotmail.com
    cheers
    matt

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    To get you started, I've done a quick search of cabs that will work in an enclosure that size. Luckily for you there seems to be quite a few. I'll leave the porting info till later. In the meantime, you might wanna look into these speakers:-

Eminence Kappa 15LF:- 96dB sensitivity, -3dB at 47Hz, 600w.

Eminence Omega Pro 15:- 99dB sensitivity, -3dB at 53Hz, 800w

Eminence Kappa Pro 15:- 100dB sensitivity, -3dB at 56Hz, 500w

Beyma 15LX60:- 98dB sensitivity, -3dB at 48Hz, 600w

B&C 15HPL76W:- 97dB sensitivity, -3dB at 42Hz, 350w, Lightweight neodymoim magnet.

Eminence Gamma 15:- 96dB sensitivity, -3dB at 59Hz, 300w

Selenium WPU1507:- 96dB sensitivity, -3dB at 37Hz, 500w

I'd be leaning towards the Neodymiun speaker from B&C. Your back will thank you. Either that or the Beyma 15LX60. It's one of those rare speakers that can actually handle the amount of watts it is rated for. That's 800 Honest watts, so it won't be cheap, but it's a top notch driver.

The Eminence and Selenium drivers are easy to get here in Oz. The Beyma and B&C will need to come from the US.