1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement 5 hole string through bridge for Fender?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Commreman, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Is there a replacement bridge made for Fender that is string through with the 5 hole Fender mounting design? If so, where can I find this?

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

No gain in it to make it worthwhile. Read this before going further. But no, a five hole string through isn’t readily available. Not only do you have to drill the through body, you have to drill new holes to mount it. If you are willing to do all that, Fender 3 hole bridges are available: use the center screw hole and drill the two outer mount holes and the string holes. Making my MIM p bass a string through body?

3. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
  4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Actually the string through 4 string Hipshot (FM2) is three hole mount. The FM1 is not string through.

FM2 69492B95-3CF4-4033-A5B5-2BA6D66AAC8B.

FM1 DBA1EFC0-F6FF-4B3E-883C-0DC07D4A1BF0.

5. Turnaround

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Look at the options for the B-Style Fender Mount on the Hipshot site. The FM3 model is "5-string American Deluxe String Thru. Install the Fender® Mount (FM) B Style on your beloved American Standard or American Deluxe with absolutely no modifications whatsoever."

6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Look at the op. Nowhere does it say 5 string. It says 5 hole. So I assume he has a four string bass.

7. Turnaround

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    AHA! Missed that detail - I read it as 5 string, five hole. Never mind.

8. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Well until the op shows up And confirms, we both have a 50/50 shot :D

9. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I am looking for a standard 5 hole Fender mount, string through, for a 4 string bass. I apologize for the lack of clarity!

10. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Ok so, look at your current bridge. There’s no room for string through holes without angling the strings sideways and then you’ll get interference with the intonation screws. Ain’t nobody got time for that. That’s the reason Fender String through bridges are 3 hole mount. That’s the reason no aftermarket companies do it either.

Modifications required. No drop in solution.

11. Turnaround

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    So I admit it, I was......... wrong.

Warhawk and 96tbird like this.
  12. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    No worries... we like you a lot anyway. And, I figure you're entitled to a faux pas or two, every year or so...:whistle:

13. Turnaround

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Great. This year is almost over, so I can start being wrong again in a few days.

14. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Not really. Just read it wrong. I personally blame my own mistakes reading things for me not being wealthy.