Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacement 6-string humbuckers????

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ytsebri, Jan 30, 2001.

1. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    I'm going to pick up a Tobias Toby Pro 6, and I wanted to replace the pups in it. I know that Bartolini rules in general, but does anyone have any suggestions/comparisons to Barts in this dept. Just gathering info before I buy don't you know. Tell me more about Basslines and Lane Poor please? Thanks! :D

2. Basslines do not make pups that fit the Toby 6, and Lane Poor is currently out of business. I have a Toby 6, and kept the stock active pups, but replaced the preamp with a Seymour Duncan model for active pups. It has 3 band EQ, and a pull pot slap contour. It slots in dead easy, minimal soldering, and sounds great. You can crank the bass, and it remains distinct, without getting "woofy".

3. FaultLine423

FaultLine423

Aug 27, 2000
    hey ytsebri, this is really crazy.
    we're both on two of the same message boards (DreamTheater.net, talkbass), and now we play the same bass (Toby Pro 6). That's some crazy stuff

4. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Haven't got it quite yet, man. In April, I'm getting a Carvin LB76F fretless, then I'm getting the Toby the next month! Can't wait. I love the way those Tobys look!

5. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Is the Toby Pro 6 offered in fretless? And if it is, I'm curious why you chose the Carvin?

I'm a happy LB76F owner myself but Tobys weren't available in '95 when I bought my Carvin. Just curious...

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'd suggest checking out the EMG DC humbuckers. They should be similar in size if not exactly the same as the ones in the Toby now. They're great sounding p/u's, a bit bright for some, but I prefer them that way. Besides, if you want a mellower tone, just back off on the treble, eh? :)