1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement 7-string pickups in Bartolini G6 size?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sheffield, Mar 13, 2013.

1. I'm in the process of modding a Conklin GTBD-7 into (hopefully) something closer to the Conklin custom I'd order if I could afford one.

I've swapped the preamp (which I've kept; it's good stuff, just not what I'm going for here) for a Pope Flexcore 2stk.1.

I'm looking to swap the single coil Bart pickups as well; I'm more of a humbucker man.

Does anyone know about any replacement pickups in the Bart G6 seven-string housing? I'm looking for something clearer and more aggressive than the Barts, and for (ideally) minimal routing.

2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    I'm not sure how much you would like to spend, but send a email to Nordstrand. They can help you on this :)

Otherwise, look for Maurilio, here on TB. He's working for Nordstrand, so for ''direct'' contact you should look for him ;)

3. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Nordstrand has the G6 sized cover….

M

4. Thanks y'all. I've e-mailed Nordstrand and will post their reply when it arrives.

5. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    See, Maurilio is like air : He's always there, although you don't notice him all the time :p

6. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    :D

M

7. Man, he totally is! :eek:

Anyway: Nordstrand got back to me (impressively quickly, I might add).

They indicated that Big Singles, Fat Stacks, or Dual Coils are all possible with the G6 housing and the tight string spacing of the GTBD-7.

My intent is to pair the pickups with a 4-band Pope Flexcore with blend and passive tone.

60Hz hum drives me insane so the Big Singles are out right away.

Anyone with experience with parallel and/or series Dual Coils vs Fat Stacks for an ERB?

8. ... aaaaaaand another to add to the mix: Adrian from Nordstrand indicated that a seven-string set of the Nordstrand humcancelling jazz pickups might also be an option.

Leaning Fat Stacks right now; anyone want to change my mind?

9. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    What are you looking for? Parallel wired Dual Coils give a very open and clean sound, with clear highs and a deeper low end which is a welcome feature if you're into slapping and such.

Series wired Dual Coils have a fuller and fatter midrange and have more output then parellel wired Dual Coils.

Or just go for the humcancelling Jazz pickups, since you are like you said, a humbucker man :p

10. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    +1

11. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    What makes you lean towards the Fs?

12. I tend to boost mid-mids (500-600Hz) when using J-style pickups; they don't sound 'right' to my ears without that. I'm told that the FS tend to be more middy than a standard J sound, which seemed to fit more with what I normally look to hear.

13. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Fatstacks

''These are a proprietary Nordstrand design. The traditional bi-pole magnet layout was, literally, twisted in a new direction. By rotating the poles 45 degrees for each set, we have increased the size of the traditional J style coil by 50%, making is wider, or 'Fatter'.''

Source - Nordstrand electronics

Well I guess that is what you are looking for :p Go for it!

14. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Oh, by the way Maurilio. What I would like to know about the DC's : Is it only possible to have them wired parallel or series, or are there more possibilities as well, like having those 2 combined in a pickup?

15. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Not sure what you mean about combining them together.
    You can use a switch to have them working in par/sc/ser….

M

16. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    this is referred to all the Nordstrand's pups with the slanted pp.

FS are a little fatter sounding (with a little less lows and highs) in humcan compared to a BS or BSp (but a little less output). In single mode they are similar to the BS but a tiny bit more smooth and open

17. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Yeah, that's what I meant. Is that something you have to custom order?