Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacement Barts for Skyline 55-01???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by afroman, Jul 8, 2004.

1. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've had my Lakland Skyline 55-01 for about two years. I like the way it sounds but i want to get "real" Bartolini soapbar pickups to replace the stock MK-1. I'd like to know if somebody has replaced their pickups on their 55-01 or if you know which of all me Bartolini soapbars will fit the Skyline 55-01.

I want a clean round, deep tone with powerful bass, articulate mids and highs taht are not too "trebly" or twangy. I have a Stingray 5 for that more "dirty" and trebly sound so I want to have a different tone in the Lakland.
    Also, do you think I'll have to change the pre-amp also, or is the Stock one good enough. I sometimes like to run the bass pasive, so I don't want to buy another pre-amp if the stock one will do fine.

Thanks for your time and please help!!!!

PS. I'm using a BBE Max pre-amp w. a Carvin DCM1500 and Aguilar cabs (410, 2 x 112)

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I'm curious about this as well. However, based on what I know, I'm planning on upgrading to the Bart NTMB pre-amp first...

3. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA

This has been discussed before. Check it out at this thread.

Here

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    The Bart online catalog has a complete set of dimension for all of their pups. I have heard that there is an exact match in size. I think maybe the X-something pickups?

5. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    So the Bartolini P2 and the Duncan ASB-5 are direct replacements????
    I just need to know the exact models of the pickups that will fit. I didi the measurements that appear on the bart website but i need to know that someone has already used oine of these pickups with good results.
    I called Lakland but they appear to be out till next week because ofd the NAMM festival.

ANy more specific info will help a lot, I'm just tired of the Bart website an their " this pickup covers from 66mm to 72mm". I need to know which models will work.

Thanks again and keep on helping.
    Peace...

6. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA

Go to Duncan's web-site. They give you exact measurements and diagrams. I believe Bartolini does too, you just have to dig a little. You can find it. But you know that the corresponding Bassline pickups were meant to be direct replacements for the barts, so you'll know if they fit. Just spend some time and read. You'll be fine. :smug:

7. If you read the thread that was linked, you'd see that someone had already tried the Basslines ASB-1's in the 55-01, and that they are the same size as the Bart P2 and P4. We also gave the measurements of the pickups themselves, not merely the string spacing they would work with.

What specific information did you need to know?

Mike

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Poon's reference is very good info.

Nonetheless, I'd email Dan Lakin and tell him what you want. The guy is very responsive, very up-front, and will try to help you if he can.

I told him I didn't like the rubbery controls on my 55-02 and his ego isn't so massive that he came back and said something like, "They're perfectly fine control knobs.......bite me! "
    He gave me the control post sizes so I could buy some I liked elsewhere. The guy is a Class A act who will help you if he can.

9. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks guys.
    I already wnet to the SD website and found that the ASB are direct replacements for the Bartolini p2 and P4, so they'll fit.
    Does anybody have experience with these two different brands that can tell me about what they sound like. I've heard basses w Barts and that's why I wanted them, but there are so many models that maybe the ones I heard are not the ones that can fit my Lakland. I think Barts are warmer and more balanced and SD are more aggresive, am I right??

Thanks again for your help.
    I'll e-mail Dan Lakin anyway.

10. Yeah, the sizes aren't too bad once you figure them out, but the individual Bart models can get pretty confusing since there are so many. As I recall, the stock pickups are split coil. If you want something smoother and more typically "Bart" sounding, you mich go for the regular dual-coil humbuckers, but any of the "deep" Bart pickups are likely to be a bit smoother than the stock pickups. I've had lots of basses with Barts, and even though some were probably split coil, some dual coil, etc., there was a certain "Bartness" ;) to all of them.

SDs will be more scooped and hi-fi sounding, and probably brighter and not a sweet.

Mike

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It all depends on your Lakie's wood combinations and strings, mainly...........ash body with maple fretboard & stainless roundwounds = hard-ass snap....rosewood fretboard with alder body and roundwounds = smoother sound....blah, blah.
    Dan's "The Man." Customer satisfaction is his #1 job.

12. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    My 55-01 has an ash body with a maple fretboard and I use nickel strings. I think the Barts are the way to go. I'll with SD for my Stingray 5 replacement.

Thanks...

13. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Does anybody know where I can buy bartolini pickups aside from Bartolini themselves? I know that Bass Central sells them but does anyone know of other online stores that do?

Thanks for all the help.
    Peace...

14. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Bestbassgear.com

15. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    +1
    Brian there is great and will help you out. He'll special order stuff for you if necessary.