1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement body for a Modulus Genesis bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Lincoln, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    Hello all!
    I'm toying around with the idea of working with a local luthier to build a replacement body for a Modulus Genesis bass. Love the neck!! But I'm not an alder wood guy and to my knowledge Modulus never made any ash Genesis basses...

The luthier has offered to let me come in and kind of take lessons underneath him to work on a project...so I thought I'd take him up on it. Building a bass body seems to be a rather straightforward endeavor. However...the Genesis neck apparently has the graphite in the neck running deep into the body. Now, I will be taking the neck off to look at it myself, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with the body of a Genesis and how the neck actually functions with the body construction wise.

Thoughts?

2. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I thought it was a carbon fiber neck attached in standard bolt-on fashion?

3. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    It's carbon fiber that is encased in wood. The carbon fiber according to Modulus paperwork extends deep into the body...

4. At the risk of starting an argument...

Not long ago, someone on here recorded tracks of a known ash body again a plank of unidentified shop lumber. Both were roughly the same size and weight. He put up some sample tracks of both and dared people to pick the difference. All the tone wood pros surfaced and....

No one could convincingly tell the difference. So at the risk of saying, "I think you're wasting your time", I think you're wasting your time. I think you'll find the neck/ fingerboard/ neck joint/ electronics make a MUCH bigger difference than the body wood.

So, sure go ahead and make a new body if you like, but I think your money and time might be better spent on Pickups... and it's easier too. ;)

5. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Of course if Ash is just for looks then there's no other way than make an Ash body. If you can take the neck out of the Alder body then you'll see what needs to be done to the new body.
    Marko
    edit: looks like it's just a bolt on neck with a bit longer heel. No problems with making a new body. Go ahead!

6. If you like the "look" of ash, you could just slice the top off the body and put and ash laminate on top.

;)

7. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    well...it's been my experience playing j-basses in particular, ash sounds different than alder. Alder has a sweeter more middle of the road tone. Ash is definitely ballsier for slap. Deeper lows/nastier highs. That "Marcus Miller" tone requires 3 things.

1. Ash/Maple combo
    2. j pickups in the 70's position, fully up
    3. sadowsky/old school bart preamp

I've played long enough to know and hear the difference in the instruments I've owned and played...

And as you stated, it is a bit off topic.

8. MarkL

MarkL

Feb 17, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    You forgot the most important thing:

4. Marcus Miller

:p

9. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    wee, tiny insignificant detail :p

10. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    Any additional thoughts on this topic? Any Modulus techies out there?

11. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    It's just a standard bolt-on design but the neck pocket goes deeper into the body than a traditional Fender design. Copying the body should not be too difficult for the most part but since you don't have the actual templates (or CNC programs) be prepared for some variation. Also, it should go without saying this is a situation where the phrase "measure twice, cut once" is an understatement.

From a tonal perspective, the Genesis I used to have didn't do the Marcus sound either, and I had the maple top/maple fingerboard version with the Bart jazz pickups & 3-band preamp. I think it has more to do with the fact that the neck is not maple (I believe it's cedar with a graphite t-section) and the Bart pickups are not designed to sound like traditional jazz pickups. So just changing the body wood probably won't make as much of a difference IMO.

12. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    I've got Nordy pups in it now and am considering a sadowsky with VTC pre for it. I think the neck is alder, but having the carbon fiber in there may indeed brighten up the neck in concert with the maple neck...