1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement bridge for Fender RW Jazz opinions ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jnewmark, Feb 6, 2016.

1. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I really love my RW Jazz, but it seems like I always have to intonate it more frequently than I should. At first I thought it was the strings and switched them out for new ones. The neck is perfectly straight and never seems to budge. I've fiddled with the stock bridge, but it seems to not make a difference, especially on the E string. I'm thinking a replacement bridge might be in order. Opinions ?

Khronic likes this.
  2. Amplified

Amplified

Jan 19, 2014
    Cyberspace
    Babicz?

bassman74 likes this.
  3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Better than Badass...their eCam saddles are the best.

4. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    That looks like the Rolls Royce of bridges. Looking for something a little cheaper, other than a Badass, that would do the job.

5. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Hipshot?

6. Khronic

Khronic Richard J. Naimish Banned

Oct 24, 2006
    Grand Junction, CO.
    My suggestion would be to contact fellow TB member MarkoYYZ. Babicz may look like a Rolls Royce but...................

7. Garret Graves

Garret Graves website- ggravesmusic.com Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    Can't adjust string spacing on Babicz either.

8. Catbuster

Catbuster Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    Omega's Badass-style bridge is what looks "right" to me.

The Babicz is a very good bridge as well.

9. bobalu

bobalu Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2004
    above the 49th
    I have a RW Jazz as well, and it's a superb bass. I have not experienced any intonation problems. If the saddle moves enough to intonate properly, (you're not at the limit of saddle travel) and it stays put under string tension (i.e.: doesn't move when the string is tuned), than I don't think your intonation problem is the bridge. I know you said you put fresh strings on, but IME, the intonation culprit has almost always been the string. Are you using a 105 E?

10. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    I'm using Fender Nickelpated Steel Roundwounds, Super Bass 7250's. .045, .065, .085, .105. I use these on my other two basses, and have never had a problem with intonation.

11. bobalu

bobalu Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2004
    above the 49th
    I use the 7250's as well in that gauge, really like them and their quality seems consistent. Maybe try a Fender "vintage style" replacement bridge without the threaded saddles and see how that works(?). If you can intonate the string, but it doesn't hold the intonation (over a short time), than something is moving. Either the neck, in which case all strings would be off on intonation to some degree, the string itself, or the saddle. The only other area I can think of may be your intonation method/procedure. There are a few differing camps on method here (intonate to the 12th fret note vs. the harmonic, move the saddle under tuning tension vs. detuning the string...). I don't know, if you really want a new bridge, go for it! That Babicz is killer looking imo.

12. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    A pickup too close to the string can mess with intonation as well. Worth checking if you haven't.

13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I have two RW Jazzes. IMHO, What you are experiencing is not related to the bridge, IMHO. Big topic, but simple answer is that NO fretted basses are actually in tune, and frets are a compromise—as you know. Strings vary in their behavior as they age, and how you view intonation will color everything. The RW neck is pretty flexible, too.

Be at peace. Unless it is sticking out in a recording or in an ensemble performance, you don't actually have a problem, no matter what your tuning device tells you.

Use your ears. Don't forget the JND (just noticeable difference) for most people in the middle range of hearing is still at least 4 cents—that's 4% of a half step. In real musical situations, that is nothing!

Simple gripping a string hard on a given fret will likely make it sharp nearly that much. Also, the first 3 frets on all basses are sharp if the nut is a bit high.

Keep the stock bridge, it is part of the tone. I have done the bridge swap thing. It is a long dark road leading to an active bass with hum canceling pickups....:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    jnewmark likes this.
  14. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Thanks everyone for the replies and tips. I discovered that, strangely enough, it is a headphone problem ! I typically use this bass as my " home " bass, for learning new songs. I use a Bass Buddy, plugged into my computer, then headphones out of the BB. The notes, especially on the E string seem a bit out of tune in certain spots, but , when I plug the bass into my Roland combo, all seems well ! Could it be that the headphones are causing some sort weird intonation thing ? I tried different phones, but it still is there. My other Jazz doesn't do this, so maybe the RW has some sort of crazy interaction with the BB or headphones on certain notes ? Odd, to say the least.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016