Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

replacement bridge for standard jazz bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassbob03, Apr 9, 2005.

1. bassbob03

bassbob03

Jan 31, 2005
    i need something strong, as a replacement for my standard fender jazz, ive heard about that badass II or whatever and explanation of that would be good any other suggestions would be good also
    thanx

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I've got a Gotoh 206 on my Ibanez RB800 - its a pretty massive bridge if thats what you're looking for...

3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I replaced my standard jazz bridge with a BadAssII. It's a really good bridge, the original fender jazz bridge was really weak, and moved around too much, the BadAssII saddles have zero movement. It also looks nicer ;)

4. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Does anyone have any experience with the Gotoh 201?

5. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK

6. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA

yes..it's a direct drop in replacement for Fender basses. It's a great bridge and needs no saddle filing like the badassII does. I have one on my MIJ Jazz bass.

both the BadAss II and the Gotoh 201 are fine choices for replacement Fender bridges.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Top loading is about the only reason for me, but even that isn't too big a deal. Pretty much the only reason I've switched out a bridge is asthetic (I like the look of a big honkin' bridge), and to better accomodate a BEAD stringing. Some stock bridged, the string holes are too small for a B string to pass through. However, Schaller roller bridges accept them just fine without top loading.

That said, Schaller and Hipshop A bridged are my favorite.

8. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Well, I guess it is possible that every single one of the thousands of people, including some really great bassists, who thought a replacement bridge like a BAII improved their sound might be wrong. Seems unlikely though. Maybe some playing styles or instrument/string combinations show more of a difference than others. All depends on what you're after, I suppose. :eyebrow:

9. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I agree that there may not be much if any sonic difference...that said..on the import basses like the Fender MIJ and the MIM basses..the hardware is cheap pot metal, and sometimes the adjustment screws in the saddles don't stay tight..and the saddles collapse, rattle or buzz.
    The Gotoh, for example has grooves or channels that the adjustment screws sit in..and keeps them put. I like that.
    The USA hardware doesn't have these problems. So I agree for the most part...changing the bridge for sound may be pushing it..but for stability especially on the import models, it is a consideration.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I agree completely.

11. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Thanks guys. I'm experiencing some of the problems AlembicPlayer outlined. My MIM is a '98 so I guess it won't have the "improved" bridge on it. I'm not looking for any significant sonic difference, just a higher quality piece. The saddles slide around, the previous owner stripped a few screws, etc... Might as well just swap her outta there.. :smug:

12. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    "Please share it..." I already have. In my own experience, the BAII I put on seemed to improve attack and clarity of each note (see above). The (claimed) improvement in sustain I'm less sure about, as this wasn't an issue on the bass in question, or maybe it's more accurate to say I didn't notice it as much. The bass I put it onto was a stock MIM Jazz, and, as has been pointed out above, the hardware on these is not of the highest quality.

The point, and the only point, I was making, is that if a replacement bridge is more rigid/less likely to rattle/heavier/acoustically different or whatever, these factors may make a difference to the sound of a particular bass, and this difference may be more apparent with certain setups and playing styles than with others. This seemed to me to be the case with the first bass I tried a Badass on, and as I was happy with the result I have stuck with them.

This doesn't mean that changing the bridge is something that should be done as a matter of course on every stock bass, or that every player will notice a difference. It just means that conceivably it can, in my experience it did, and just because it wasn't apparent in a particular set of circumstances doesn't mean it won't be apparent under different circumstances.

And I agree with you about the IME, IMHO, etc! ;)

As far as the double blind testing goes, I will, when time allows, try to record some clips of my MIM Jazz with stock bridge and with the Badass. Not a double blind, I know, but it could be interesting anyway. I'll let you know when I get around to it. Who knows, it could even lead to some more great research on the site. How about "Smash's summer showdown.... for bridges"? :)

13. I'll join the crowd about not hearing or percieving a difference with the BAII.

A few years back I lost a height adjustment screw on my Jazz bass, and rather than forking out the dough for a 40 year old part (and keep the whole system stock) I opted for the BA. I actually wanted to hear a difference, but I didn't. As it turns out, when I was mounting the bridge to the bass I actually found the height adjustment screw on the floor. :smug:

Where I have found bridges make a difference is on wraparound bridges. I like old guitars. 1950's Les Paul Juniors and Specials and old Gibson made Epiphones that have the "wraparound" bridges. I discovered the Schaller 455 bridge (to my mind a more "solid" replacement and easier string replacement than the BA guitar bridge) for my 59 LP Special. To get the guitar to intonate, it had to be at such a great angle the saddles needed more area to traverse. However, I replaced the wraparound on my 58 Special with a Schaller 455 and it was a tone sink.

Granted, there are other factors involved with replacing a stock Fender style bridge with a BAII, but more mass does not mean "better."

I have replaced all of my guitar saddles with String Saver saddles. I can't really say if it made a noticable difference sound wise. I'd really like to say they do because I love them so much- but they make all the difference in the world as far as string breakage.