1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

replacement bridge saddle for Wilkinson on mid-90s Carvin

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by thegreatmattsby, May 16, 2011.

1. thegreatmattsby

thegreatmattsby

May 16, 2011
    Chicago
    Hi all,

I have a much-loved Carvin LB20F from the mid-90s that needs a new saddle for the Wilkinson bridge that used to be stock equipment on that model. The bridge looks like this, right down to the black finish, except I have the four-string version.

[​IMG]

Wilkinson doesn't seem to make it anymore, and I've not had much luck finding parts. Shelling out $100 for a complete new bridge seems like overkill. Does anyone here know where I might find what I'm looking for?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. loinmute

loinmute

Feb 11, 2011
    Wimberley,Texas
    I paid $80 and got a Leo Quan, but I really didn't like the wilky.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Sorry I couldn't help. I tried looking for wilkinson parts to no avail. E-bay/craigslist or TB classifieds would be your best bet.

3. thegreatmattsby

thegreatmattsby

May 16, 2011
    Chicago
    Nice, loinmute. The BA2 does look like a good fit. Anyway, thanks for checking!

4. thegreatmattsby, you still have that Wilkinson bridge? I have 4 string replacement bridge parts. I have the base plate and saddle pieces. The base place is black and saddles are silver. Let me know if you are still looking. I also have been looking for these old wilkinson bridges and parts for to swap out some worn parts on my Tobias 5 string for years and my best luck has been on TB and Ebay. Matter of fact, i was just outbid on a Wilkinson bridge yesterday on ebay. Just keep your eyes peeled and one will cross your lap.

5. thegreatmattsby

thegreatmattsby

May 16, 2011
    Chicago
    Thanks, Zoner401. A really nice guy on the Carvin forums sent me his spare chrome bridge, which got the bass playing playing again. For vanity's sake, a black one would be even better, so I'm keeping my eyes peeled. If anybody out there wants to trade, you now know whom to talk to!

6. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    I have a few wilkinson bridges like that one. and the 5 sting conversion bridge too. I will take some pics and let you all know..

7. That would be great! If you have any extra parts sitting around, or even just base plate and/ or the intonation screws, perhaps we can work something out. I'm in need of some parts - my screws are bent all different directions due to the lock down (stupid) design that destroys the thread on the long saddle intonation screws. My base plate is also pretty gouged due to the saddle height screws. i don't really need saddles, although i guess extras don't hurt. Mainly, i don't want to impede on thegreatmattsby's quest for black saddles.

8. thegreatmattsby

thegreatmattsby

May 16, 2011
    Chicago
    That's great, jumbodbassman, and you're too kind, Zoner401. If people have spare parts, I'd like to see each put to its best use, and odds are that satisfying my vanity isn't it.

That said, once I find a black saddle, anyone (Zoner401?) is welcome to my spare Wilky bridge--chrome saddles, black plate, black screws and all.

9. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

Sep 25, 2011
    Not sure if you're interested, but the Hipshot A-style .75 spacing bridge has 3 holes that line up perfectly to these bridges. I know because I have a BB75 with the Wilkinson TW5 (your bridge you have) that I want to upgrade the bridge on and have been searching high and low for something that will use the existing holes and not look that bad footprint wise too.

10. Thanks for the info. The issue with me is not necessarily just the bridge but also the string spacing. I tried this as an option. Bought the bridge etc, however the string spacing was off and the strings wouldn't fit correctly on the neck. I have a narrow neck for a 5 string.

11. rtcul8

rtcul8

May 29, 2011
    Try guitar parts depot?

12. tortburst

tortburst Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2007
    New Jersey
    Loinmute did the outer and center screw holes on the badass line up with the 3 existing holes from the wilkinson?
    And did the footprint of the badass cover the top 2 wilkinson holes?