1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement bridge.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tobynjake, Oct 5, 2013.

1. tobynjake

tobynjake

Dec 10, 2011
    NC
    Hi everyone.
    I want to replace the bridge on my mim fender fretless jazz.
    Don't want to spend a load of money and I've seen gotoh bridges around 45 bucks and a hagstrom full contact for about the same.
    Does anyone know if either of these would be ok and would they be a direct replacement fit?
    Would appreciate any thoughts.
    Thanks.

2. TimboZ

TimboZ

Jan 4, 2009
    South of Buffalo
    Is it a 3 or 5 hole mount?

3. tobynjake

tobynjake

Dec 10, 2011
    NC

4. Mickey Mao

Mickey Mao

Jun 7, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    I'll be the first to ask.....:D

What's wrong with the existing bridge? What are you trying to improve?

5. Mickey's question is a good one.

As far as the Gotoh: it should align perfectly with your existing screw holes, and it looks much nicer than stock and the slots the screw ends ride in do a great job of keeping the saddles from moving. Is it any better than stock? I don't know, but it has the features I just described.

I don't know the Hagstrom bridge at all, but it's interesting that it has exactly the same name as the very different and much more expensive Babicz Full Contact bridge. It's also not particularly confidence inspiring that a guy on ebay has 8 of them listed for $9.99 apiece BIN out of China.

6. tobynjake

tobynjake

Dec 10, 2011
    NC
    Ok.so all it took was a new set of flat wounds and a decent setup.
    Just needed someone with a bit of experience to show me the way.
    Thanks for the comments.

7. bassman10096

bassman10096

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Shhhhhh!!! Don't tell anyone about this - you'll kill the whole aftermarket bridge industry and take away endless joy from bass modders...;):p

8. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    I've said it before and I will say it again - if you are talking about the Gotoh 201 bridge, the strings will not line up perfectly with the pickup pole pieces. It's not a big deal sonically but if you are OCD, it may bug you.

9. One thing to be wary of with the Gotoh is that the string spacing is SLIGHTLY narrower than a stock Fender. You also can't go quite as low with the action. I pulled mine off & reinstalled my Bent plate. :D