1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement Driver for Peavey 115BX

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by soothsayer86, May 6, 2010.

1. soothsayer86

soothsayer86

May 5, 2010
    NH
    I am trying to figure out what driver I should get to replace a blown 8 ohm peavey scorpion. I have the Peavey 115BX cab, and a 210TX (4 ohms). My SWR head will handle a 2ohm load, so I am looking for a 15" rated for 4 ohms.

Also, I am wondering about the power my speakers will handle. My amp puts out 450 watts @ 2 ohms. The 210 is rated for 175 watts. Does this affect what type of 15" I will need? Can I use a 300 watt 15" and the 175 watt 210 together?

Thanks so much.

2. well..if you get a 4 ohm 15" speaker both the 115 and 210 will receive 225w. If you get a 8ohm 15" the 115 will receive less power than the 210 (because higher resistance)

you can use whatever speaker you want..no need to worry about underpowering (check the FAQ if you ask why).

now..as to a 15 speaker replacement..i only know of the eminence kappalite 3015 for a good speaker but it's 8ohm.
    you can email peavey about this or go to their site and look at what drivers they have available.

3. soothsayer86

soothsayer86

May 5, 2010
    NH
    Ok, so if I use the 2x10 which handles 175 watts, and it's receiving 225 watts, this will do damage to the speakers? Can the cab be rewired to run at 8 ohms instead?

4. if you are not cranking your amp it should be fine. Also use your ears and your eyes..if it starts so sound bad and/or your speakers move out and looks like they could get damaged they probable will.

the 210 is most likely 2 8ohm speakers wired in parallel. If you wire them in series you would get a 16ohm cab.

5. soothsayer86

soothsayer86

May 5, 2010
    NH
    ok thanks. i've done some extensive reading of the faq sections and i think i now have a better understanding of ohm ratings, wattages, etc.

p.s. i just picked up a peavey 410tx for 130$. i am getting it this afternoon! can't wait. i've read great things about it!

6. You can frequently find 4 ohm Peavey Black Widows on ebay cheap. Good sounding and dependible.