Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

replacement driver for SWR Goliath Jr. 2x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sizz, Nov 11, 2002.

1. sizz

sizz

Sep 23, 2002
    Bella Vista, AR
    Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone would have a suggestion on replacement drivers for my SWR Goliath Jr. 2x10. My stock drivers are not busted, but I would like to explore the possibility of moving up to better quality, higher-powered drivers that can take the rigors of a Crown CE1000 without a problem. I've been on a couple of websites (JBL, Eminence, etc) but I wondered if anyone had a suggestion off hand for a good high powered 10" driver with a relatively flat response & good sensitivity. Thanks in advance for any help you can give... specific model numbers are greatly appreciated too. :)

2. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Jeremy,
    I've tried some JBL's and EV's in a couple of cabinets in the past and really didn't notice any significant improvement in the sound. The cabinet did have a higher wattage rating but it weighed a great deal more also! The PAS speakers used in the older SWR cabinet's and the Pyle speakers used in the newer SWR's really are very good sounding speakers to me. I have put some Carvin 10" speakers in one SWR Jr. cabinet and they sounded great! At the time I beleive that PAS also made the Carvin speakers. They do rate at a higher wattage rating (I believe 200 RMS each). I think that Carvin has since changed to Pyle speakers also.

3. Im not sure that i agree with Pyle's making of Carvin and Swr speakers. I had the Rl410t lastyear and got curious. I removed one of the drIvers, and sure enough it had the eminence Sku on it. A good frien fo mine (who works for eminence) confirmed this. he stated that they have an exclusivity agreement.

As far as SWR, i think that same holds true with PAS for the 10"ers. I cant voich for any of the others, tho.

As gfar as my experience goes, I have a Nemesis 112p that has an Eminence kappa Pro 12" that is amazing! it sounds so rich and meaty, and fairly punchy for its size. I am not sure that I would swap my SWR's drivers for the Eminence, jpurely doe to weight. this badboy is heavy!

4. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I stand corrected! Brain poot! I new they had changed from PAS because I had sent an amp to SWR a couple of years ago for repair and during a conversation with a technician he informed me that Eminence was making their speakers now (and Eminence is also making speakers for Carvin). It's hard to compare the SWR PAS made speakers with the Eminence because the enclosure's that I have heard them in are so different (Series I verse's Series III). The Series I enclosure is a much tighter enclosure.

5. sizz

sizz

Sep 23, 2002
    Bella Vista, AR
    Thanks to all for the replies... like I said, this is something that I'm just tossing around for the future. I'm sure that the stock drivers in the cab can handle things for a while... at least until I get the money for a Bergantino or Epifani 2x12"!