1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacement fender p bass neck- need some help!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Precision101, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    So I wanted to start over fresh and finally after having so many problems with the neck/nut on my p bass get a fresh new one from fender In a couple of months. But I want to know does anyone know if the nut has to be to be filed or can I just set it up and go? Thanks guys.

Here the link to the one I was looking athttp://www.fender.com/store/precision-bass-necks/precision-bass-neck-20-medium-jumbo-frets-maple-fingerboard/

2. From what I can tell from the pics on their website, the nut is filed and all screw holes for mounting all the hardware have been drilled, including the holes for mounting the neck to the body.

3. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    I just have to install the string tree? And also on my bass the string tree is loose and it won't screw down any more? I don't know if this is because it a vintage feature or what.

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    If you want it to play at its best then you will probably have to do a full setup, this includes setting the action at the nut, which is done by filing the slots.

5. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Speaking of filing nut slots. I was reading about nut finishing on StewMac a while back and if I recall correctly, they called for a distance of .030" between the top of the first fret and bottom of nut slot. Is that number right, and if so does it apply to both guitar and bass?

6. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    I think Walter recently addressed this in another thread, but his method is correct. Once the relief is set properly and the saddle height is correct, you can judge at what height the nut slots should be set. Fret a string at the first fret and measure the gap between the second fret and the bottom of the string. This is the ideal distance from the top of the first fret to the bottom of the string when the string is not fretted. File the nut slots until both measurements are the same. Some luthiers will allow a little extra (one or two thousandths of an inch) at the first fret to allow for nut wear. Do the same for all strings.

Of course this ideal setting is predicated upon the frets being good and level.

7. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    I just switched my neck with my affinity squier p bass It sounds and feels so nice. But I'm keeping this on til I get a new one

8. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    That's not supposed to be loose. The string tree should tighten down and not move. The hole must be stripped in yours which would require at least gluing a piece of toothpick in the existing hole so the screw has more grip.

9. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013

Thanks so much. Man this bass is a mess. Hopefully get all this fixed by December 👍