1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacement for a dead MB200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LowEZ, Apr 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    I bought a GK used MB200 a couple of years ago to carry in my bag as an emergency backup or DI. It occasionally made a static type noise that would stop if you tapped the top of the unit. Growing tired of the noise, I opened it up and carefully reseated every connector, and now the unit doesn't power up at all. Convinced I was at fault, I tore down the unit completely but did not find a single lifted pad or torn trace. I reflowed every connector just to be sure. The only fuses I found were two on the Ice module and they're both good, so I am at a loss. I haven't yet looked at a schematic but with my limited electronics expertise along with SMC construction, I doubt there's much I can do. I have AC in, the power switch functions properly, but there's no DC present anywhere. It's not worth sending it off to be repaired.

The MB200 is a great size, I wouldn't want anything larger. The Trace Elf looks interesting. I am unaware of anything else at that size and price point. Any recommendations for a replacement?

Thanks.

2. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    Contact GK service.

BassmanPaul, Al Kraft and McG like this.
  3. shawshank72 and Al Kraft like this.
  4. I think that ship sailed when he serviced it himself. The bench time to go over his work as well as diagnose the original fault and the new fault would be like building up an amp from parts by hand.

5. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    GK MB 500

Al Kraft likes this.
  6. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    :) Exactly, which is why I consider it a non-cost-effective solution.

Interesting, thanks!

If it was just a bit smaller, but I am considering it as well. I love my MB Fusion 800, and the MB200 when it was alive, so it makes sense. Thanks.

MobileHolmes likes this.
  7. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    I really like my TE ELF, even smaller than the GK.

LowEZ likes this.
  8. might be too large for you but the Genzler 350 is a really great little head

MobileHolmes likes this.
  9. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    Yeah, it's more than I need for an emergency backup amp.

It's considerably smaller and all their owners seem to like them. Pulling the trigger next payday.

Thanks all.

pudgychef likes this.
  10. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Maybe you can find another used MB200, since you know it did what you needed.

Only this time don't beat it and heat it :D

LowEZ and Kro like this.
  11. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    ELFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

12. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Try the Markbass Nano.

13. I agree with this since you were ok with it as a backup before, Also if you dare to crack it open and compare your work and see what you may have hooked up differently, but play it safe take close up photos and compare :)

14. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    Except the kid who hooked it up to 240 volts :)