Replacement for a modulus 5-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IvanMike, Feb 17, 2003.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Well, as snow is blanketing the northeast i have decided to open up a pandora's box.
    After a long love/hate relationship with my modulus graphite 1996 quantum spi 5-string with emg dc pickups i sold it recently.
    this leaves me without a five string at the moment.
    While i loved the clarity of the b-string, the overall clarity and focus, the string to string balance and the feel of the neck profile of the modulus, there was a certain tonality (bright, clicky, sterile, etc) that irked me.
    I was wondering what y'all found to be your favorite 5's and why.
    Keep in mind that i reject most 5's due to the b-string lacking intelligibility.
    I would most welcome responses from former or current mg owners
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Modulus Quantum 5. But this time, put Bartolini pickups and electronics in it.
  3. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Yep, Q5 with Bartolinis and nickel-wound strings. Modulus also offers a granadillo fingerboard, which I believe is some sort of wood over the graphite neck, but I have no experience as to how they affect the tone.
  4. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I kinda understand the sounds you're getting and trying to escape from, but they work most of the time for me. The Q5 with barts may be the answer, or my Lakland 55-94.;)
  5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Based on the things you liked about the Q5, I would suggest taking a spin, if possible, with a Zon Sonus custom.

I think you would like it.

6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Genesis 5 with Barts or Aguilar
    Lakland 5
  7. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Give Rob Elrick a call. He'll set you up.
  8. I 100% agree with Brendan. The Q5's are excellent. I love the graphite neck, and the Bartolini pups make up for the sterile problem.
  9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I had a similar love-hate relationship with a Modulus Q6 with Barts. I ended up with a Stingray 5, believe it or not, and I've never been happier. Probably the best 34" B string you'll find, and very organic sounding, growly bass.
  10. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I just went through your agonizing process. The first Q5s I auditioned were quickly ruled out because of the EMGs (and to a lesser extent the pheno board). After going through a LOT of high end bass auditions I found a Q5 with a Chechen board, Barts and the TMB EQ.That was "the one" and I bought it. The wood board and Barts take that classic Mod sound and warm it up so that "sterile" will never be in your Modulus vocabulary again.
  11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    hmmmmmmmmmmm maybe a chechen board is the way to go.................i'll have to check one out
    so far the bass i've liked the best is an mtd 5 with wenge neck and korina body i dont like the maple neck mtds much, and the korina makes a huge difference in the tone as far as i can tell
    no offense to Ernie Ball, but since they expanded their factory i dont think their basses sound as good
  12. mcdonap

Sep 25, 2001
    I also had, and got rid of, a Modulus 5. Mine did have EMG's, but I have also played them with Barts as well. While they took some of the brightness and sterility away, it just wasn't enough of an improvement for me to stay with Modulus.

In terms of a graphite necked bass, I found that I much preferred the sound/feel of Status Graphite. The 5's I own (owned) were all 34" scale, but had a much better B, IMO, than the Modulus. (I had a Stealth and Empathy headed, and I still have a Series II headless.) I also preferred the neck profile on the Status basses. I'd say that they're a pretty "hi-fi" sounding bass, but they're also pretty versatile. Might be worth trying if you can find one. They don't come up for sale all that often, but they're usually a pretty good bargain when they do.

I then moved back to wooden necked basses, and out of those I've been very happy with an F Bass BN5 and a James Tyler 35" scale 5. I do prefer the feel of wood, but I really like the fact that with a graphite neck, you don't have to make as many adjustments due to weather, seasonal change, etc.

Currently, I'm playing a Curbow Exotic Petite 5, and I think it's the best bass I've ever owned! It's been said before, but the Rockwood neck really is the best of both worlds. I know the flat radius and wide string spacing is not to everyone's taste, but it works perfectly for me. The clarity of the B is incredible, and it's a 34" scale bass. To my ears, the B, (and the overall sound), is better than on the Modulus. If you can find one, I'd highly recommend trying it.

I've never played a Zon, so I can't comment on them.
  13. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    From what you've described, it's definitely the EMGs that are the problem - I had EMGs in my Q4. switched them out for Lane Poors, and it's now a completely different sound. Next, I'm dropping an E-pro preamp in there (J-retro), and it'll be perfect.

My fretless Q6 has a granadillo board, Bart pre and Lane Poors. Once again, I'm going with an E-Pro preamp (see for more).

See if you can try out a Q5 or 6?) with a granadillo or chechen board, barts or seymours and a bart or aguilar pre. Totally different to that EMG sound...

have fun!

Steve (lots of MP3s featuring both basses here...)