1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacement for a P pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jmceachern36, Jul 27, 2012.

1. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    Does anyone out there know if there's a p style pickup that is less aggressive? I've got a Dimarzio Model P now. Looking for something that is fat and warm sounding. From what I understand most p pickups are going to sound pretty similar but I figured I'd see if I could find something that fits in my bass before I go cutting and modifying it.

2. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    On the bench
    Do a search here for the Duncan SPB-1.

It's a wonderful P-bass pickup, at a great price. If fat and warm is what you're looking for, I think you'll be very pleased.

Oh -- and add "grunt" to your tone descriptors with that one. :D

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Fattest and warmest I've used is Duncan's SPB-2 Hot. I swapped out the DiMarzio for one, and it's much warmer and smoother, without much "grind."

4. Hi. The sweetest P bass pickup I have ever tried is the 58 raised A pickup. The Fender Custom Shops install it on their 58 reissues. I think Seymour Duncan makes one with that design. It is simply smooth, even, round, beautiful to my ears, at least.