1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement for an Ampeg BA-115(Help me decide on a rehersal setup)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by greencow, Mar 1, 2013.

1. greencow

greencow

Feb 7, 2008
    The rehersal room we share with some bands has an Ampeg BA-115 in it. However at some point between tomorrow and May it is going to leave.

I own a Markbass LMIII+Traveler 121, however this is not a setup I would be willing to leave there. While it is light enough to carry, I am lazy. My options:

1)Get a robust cab and leave it at the rehesal room, carry my LMIII with me. Only problem I see with this is someone might abuse the cab with to much power. Also the fact that I don't really need a second cab, but this is something I am going to have to buy anyways I think.

2)Get a robust cab and an amplifier that matches the cab.
    While the Gallien Krueger GT400RBIV is something I would like to own, I don't really need another amplifier.

3)Get a robust cab, a power amplifier to match and buy myself a VTBass Deluxe, or some other preamp pedal with a DI. The upside would be, that I could actually use a DI. However the whole rig would probably cost more then option two and someone might still abuse the poweramp inputs.

Options 4 and 5 anyone?

Also, what would be the cabs worth looking into, capable of replacing the BA-115, weight not an issue but must be reliable. I can spend more money(~500 euros) on the cab if it is necessary, but are there any options in the 300 euros pricerange?

Any other amplifiers besides the GK to take a look at?

A good choice of a separate poweramp is also welcome.

Probably ordering the gear from www.thomann.de/intl

PS. I am also keeping an eye on the used market but sofar the only option is a 2 year old Markbass 2x10" that costs about 5% less than a new one, so I am not holding my breath on any good deals.

2. greencow

greencow

Feb 7, 2008
    Would like to add that the amplifier is lifted to ear-level so the Ampeg had no isues volume wise

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Dang, a room shared with other bands? I'd get un-lazy real quick, or I'd get the cheapest gnarliest used combo I could possibly find. No way I'd get anything decent and leave it in there.

4. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    a TC BG250.. louder, lighter and more capable than the BA115, but take it home with you every night.. at 35lbs its portable enough

5. greencow

greencow

Feb 7, 2008
    The room is shared between 3 bands and 3 drummers and it is not open to public, so I am not to concerned about anything breaking. Still I'd rather not keep my main gigging setup there only to find out it is broken one day before a gig.
    No reason to keep a lightweight cab with Neo drivers there.

If I can avoid carrying a cab, I can easily take the public transport. Also the room is up on the fifth floor with a rather narrow staircase that makes even the Markbass cab seem heavy. So I'm still waiting for some gear recomendations.

6. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    This sounds like a job for a used Peavy bass combo
    Decent tone, inexpensive on the used market, bullet proof
    OTOH, if the other players are friends and are respectful you could leave your main rig there.

7. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Why is it your responsibility to supply an bass cab or combo for those other 2 bassist to use?

Have you already talked to the other 2 bassists? Maybe one of them has a extra amp, cab or combo they could leave at the rehearsal room for all 3 of you guys to use.

Or maybe all 3 of you bassist could chip in to purchase one.

8. greencow

greencow

Feb 7, 2008
    About 5 years ago the band I'm in got sick of all the problems with public rehearsal rooms and decided to rent a room and make it into a rehearsal studio. We were alone for about a year and in that time we renovated the room and fitted it with equipment. As time went on, we decided to add a few bands that we know, to split the rent for the room, however the gear in the room is still owned by our band or belongs to one of the members. Just to keep things simple I suppose.

I know that one of the bassists doesn't have any amplification. The other bassist uses an old Vermona keyboard amplifier, but it is probably a bit small to cut it.

I will discuss this with the other bassists, to see if either has been planning for an upgrade etc. but I would rather not split the cost of anything with anyone. If someone leaves then shared gear makes a lot of problems.

9. greencow

greencow

Feb 7, 2008
    Waiting for some more gear recomendations